Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Child Genius
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 509008 posted on 15-8-2017 at 18:05 Reply With Quote
Child Genius

British example

Child Genius is an international franchise where clever children are pitted against one another for the glory of being called "genius" before the cameras. The American version gives a big financial incentive to the winner because they get their fees for college mostly paid. In the UK it is much less clear what they win, or at least they don't talk about such vulgarities on the programme.

The first test was spelling - which would rule out clever dyslexic kids - and then a random memory test of plant species with only an hour to learn the terms and also know how many vowels etc were in the Latin spellings.

I am in awe of the children and have occasionally taught such gifted children but the parents are mostly awful and pushy. There was one mother last night who was cheerleader for the son but not the daughter as her daughter "won everything". Err, not in a TV programme she doesn't.

What do you think of such programmes?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 509012 posted on 16-8-2017 at 00:42 Reply With Quote

Not my idea of fun. I have a few grandchildren who are either very gifted, or in the gifted range. Our Eldest has an IQ in excess of 150, and am unsure of the rest of my kids. The biggest problem they currently face is trying to get through the first couple of years of schooling because they are not challenged enough and easily get bored. Hopefully, by the time they make 3rd grade, when the school has programs to cater for gifted children, the kids haven't become such ratbags that they are treated as under-achievers.
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 509015 posted on 16-8-2017 at 05:37 Reply With Quote

I was considered "gifted" when I was at school - and it was very much a double edged sword. Not so bad at primary school - the teachers there encouraged and set me challenges without undue fuss.

At Grammar school it was a nightmare - the Nuns and my fellow pupils were equally cruel! I ended up isolated and vry unhappy.

Would I want to parade my 'gifts' on a TV programme? No way! That would have made it worse.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.