Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Win 10 Tweak Question
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 508955 posted on 9-8-2017 at 14:44 Reply With Quote
Win 10 Tweak Question

I opted to 'retire' my tablet only because I found using the Android apps interfaces more trouble than they're worth re the differences between any given app and those apps that had a desktop PC counterpart.

So now I've a pretty lightweight laptop, BUT a new one cannot be found without the Win 10 OS-sigh!!!! Can't say that I didn't know beforehand what I was getting myself into!

This topic is simply how to tweak a Win 10 interface issue, and in this case I have a question that the embedded image illustrates. I would like to ditch the stuff that shows up ["Life At A Glance", etc.--you can see it in the image] when I click on, and open up, whatever Win 10 calls what useto be "called" the Start button, i. e., the one in the very bottom left corner [it's not visible in the image].

I can't do the Google bit cause I don't know what the "official" name is for all those "tiles". So does any Win 10 user know what all those pixs are called? And even better, has anyone figured out what the "setting" is to keep them from showing up?

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 508956 posted on 9-8-2017 at 17:12 Reply With Quote

I rolled the dice re what I thought would be a really long shot re a choice of words for a Goggle search, and used "life at a glance". Lo & behold up came a very large number of hits of fellow Win 10 users who all wanted to get rid of it and a large number of hits as to how to do that to include the other groups that also show up when you click on that button.

And low and behold the one I picked worked; I bookmarked the URL for that hit, and if any other Win 10 user would like to ditch that stuff, post a request on this topic.

Alas and Alack, that URL was not going to show how to get rid of 100% of those "tiles"; those I had to click, sigh, one by one and click "unpin...". And to rub salt in the wound, that "most used" junk (on the left side of the image)--a list of programs that you've used going back to day 1, also had to be removed one by one.

I rebooted a couple of times, and this stuff didn't come back; but this is MS, and VICTORY can be short lived a la the MS culture re the value of its customer base.

COMMENT: there may be more efficient ways of doing what I did, but you can spend a great deal of time trying to find out if/whether they exist, and the sledge hammer approach of one at a time will get the job done--eventually.

As I have stated before on this board, MS will not create a new OS and simply give the end user a choice upon start up of the exact same interface as a previous OS version, i. e., it's not that it can't be done, they just don't want to do that--for those of us who use different OSs on our multiple machines, having to remember what is where for each OS is a pain, and especially for "stuff" that you seldom use, and forget how to get to it.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508957 posted on 9-8-2017 at 18:47 Reply With Quote

How to seems to be the best one tbh.

I don't have a problem with the start up looking like this but I do dislike the amount of time it takes to reboot for Windows Edge after an update. I think it is a bunch of ...
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.