Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The future of libraries?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508885 posted on 5-8-2017 at 09:04 Reply With Quote
The future of libraries?

How often do you use your library and what for?

My local library has shut down and the nearest one is 5 miles away but the local authority is getting round that by having some book titles available for electronic download for the period of the loan then it disappears from the device.

New York libraries are now going to allow users to download up to 10 movies a month from a list of 30,000 possibilities. Many are educational and have handy things like transcripts to aid learning.

article

Other libraries are also allowing 3D printing.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 508889 posted on 5-8-2017 at 09:50 Reply With Quote

I stop at the library in the town where I used to live, to get quick access to my e-mail and internet when I want to check something before I go home. I printed some legal documents when they did not print exactly right with my word processor.

I expect the web will greatly diminish libraries in coming years in developed countries. The cost of printed books, the cost of personnel, the cost of the building--lights, heating, cleaning, the land on which it rests--all are so very much more than the cost of electronic retrieval of information and fiction.:(

I am a lover of physical books.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 508900 posted on 5-8-2017 at 23:11 Reply With Quote

Sadly, I do think that they are a dying breed. I, too, love "real" books, but rarely visit a library these days. Time was when we were great friends with our local library staff. To the point that when they re-arranged the order of the Star Trek books into general fiction (which, of course, they were) it became impossible to find them because of so many different authors we sent a "Not Happy, Jan" to the head librarian. They re-arranged the books again, for us. Incidentally, her name was, actually, Jan. Some of the staff even came to our farewell when we left Darwin.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.