Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Ohio opioid epidemic
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508765 posted on 30-7-2017 at 09:30 Reply With Quote
Ohio opioid epidemic

Few clean and sober applicants

Quote:

Opioid use is on the rise across the country, but especially in Ohio. In 2014, the state had the second-largest number of opioid-related deaths in the United States and the fifth-highest rate of overdose.
"This opioid epidemic that we're experiencing ... it seems like it's worse than in other places all over the country," Mitchell said.
Ohio's new law on medical marijuana, which went into effect in 2016 and allows those with a qualifying condition and a recommendation from a physician to buy the drug legally, was another hurdle for employers to overcome, she said.
"The difficult part about marijuana is, we don't have an affordable test that tells me if they smoked it over the weekend or smoked it in the morning before they came to work. And I just can't take the chance of having an impaired worker running a crane carrying a 300,000-pound steel encasement," she said.
For now, she said, there are almost 12,000 open skilled labor jobs in Mahoning County.
"There are good-paying jobs and the opportunity for people in our area. We just can't find people to show up who can pass a drug test," she said.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 508768 posted on 30-7-2017 at 20:51 Reply With Quote

Drug use is one of the great hurdles for many workers in the city where I live.

Many companies require a worker to take a drug test before they are hired. The workers, knowing this, prepare by laying off for a few days, if they can, and by taking measures to flush the drugs out of their system.

Then, they go back to using, and hope that they are not tested again.

Where I work, they probably will not be tested again until they are either up for promotion, or have an accident. After some kinds of accidents, one is tested to see if drugs may have been a factor contributing to the accident.

Lots of workers are caught and fired, even if they have been doing acceptable or even excellent work.

Among some sub-cultures, marijuana is considered no worse than having one or two beers. But, the ingredients stay in your system, and there is experimental evidence that impairment of judgment continues long after the high has worn off.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 508779 posted on 31-7-2017 at 03:17 Reply With Quote

I just did a bit of reading up on Marijuana and the the testing regime for such substances as THC et. al. in the system. It is interesting that the presumptive tests performed roadside, and, for that fact, for employment, are quite inaccurate and may indicate the presence of illicit substances. The ONLY conclusive test is is in a lab. Apparently, even things like nutmeg can generate a false positive.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.