Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Leasehold v. freehold
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508753 posted on 29-7-2017 at 13:46 Reply With Quote
Leasehold v. freehold

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/29/leasehold-tycoon-man-whose-firms-control-40000-uk-homes

I can't think why people would even consider buying a property built on someone else's land. It's not a thing here. The most we generally have to worry about is whether it is a factored building or not.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 508754 posted on 29-7-2017 at 14:50 Reply With Quote

I thought they made it law that you had the right to buy the freehold at a reasonable price. I suppose that might have been 20 years ago. Has it been rescinded?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508762 posted on 30-7-2017 at 09:11 Reply With Quote

The article points to new-builds having more rights in this regard but the people in the article are talking about ground rent figures no-one could afford for a regular house.

My father lives in an estate with pretty nice housing built around 40 years ago. When my mother was still alive they got a letter from a company sent by a firm using Lorraine Kelly' s face on their letterhead. They were talking about feu duties on the property. They had sent one to every householder. My parents went to a solicitor which cost more than the duty would have but was worth it because there was no legal right for this company to claim fees. The company had purchased something to do with rights pertaining to the castle nearby but under Scottish Law were asking for something from householders they had no right to. They were an English company, despite using a Scot to promote them. I don't know if rights would kick in when the houses are sold individually.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.