Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Security Robot Meets Untimely "Demise" After "Drowning" On The Job
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 508563 posted on 18-7-2017 at 21:07 Reply With Quote
Security Robot Meets Untimely "Demise" After "Drowning" On The Job

Security Robot Meets Untimely "Demise" After "Drowning" On The Job

This is a partial c & p from an article (which itself was copied from CNN.com) on the wqad.com TV website dated July 18th. Anyone who wants to read the full article, and there are quite a few sites covering this story, simply has to Google this topic's words.

FYI: The CNN authors of this story seem to try to incorporate some light hearted type humor in their write up--it wasn't my doing.

(CNN) — It was one small step for security technology, but one giant leap in the wrong direction for robotkind.

A security robot in Washington, D.C. — lovingly named Steve — plunged down four steps into a fountain Monday.

Photos show the sad, waterlogged robot cop partially submerged in defeat. It’s unclear if any foul play was involved or if Steve simply rolled down a dark path on his own.

Our D.C. office building got a security robot. It drowned itself.

We were promised flying cars, instead we got suicidal robots. pic.twitter.com/rGLTAWZMjn

— Bilal Farooqui (@bilalfarooqui) July 17, 2017

Steve had just started patrolling the Washington Harbour, a riverside complex in Georgetown with restaurants and offices, last week. The Washington Harbour and its real estate developer, MRP Realty, introduced the robot on Facebook on July 12.

The post touts Steve’s “extensive catalogue of security capabilities,” which apparently does not include any underwater crime-fighting.

Steve was still getting used to the streets he was programmed to protect. He was “mapping out the grounds” to theoretically prevent this kind of accident.

“This initial phase is our opportunity to implement, vet, and remediate any bugs in the system to help advance both the programming and security features in a busy mixed-use center such as The Washington Harbour,” an MRP spokesperson wrote in a statement to CNN. “These incidents show us where improvements are needed, which may then be deployed to contribute to the ongoing security of our tenants, residents, and visitors.”

Even though Steve had only been rolling around for a few days, he already made some new friends. “He looked so happy and healthy,” one mourner remembered on Twitter.

Me here: no mention was made in the full article if any MS programmers were ever involved in this project, nor was whether this prototype was an all-weather capable digital device (such as rain); if there was no provision for operating under wet conditions, I suspect that was "forgotten" about, and definitely points to being a MS type product.

As a side bar to this story, I would wonder if any of us on this board came across Steve right after he fell in, whether we would (and should) attempt a digital equivalent of CPR. And the question of salvage rights will be taken up some other time (yes, a pool of water is not the high seas but...).

AI devices have gotten a lot of coverage on this board over the last few years, but NONE OF US have taken up the question of whether an AI device, when it goes caput, deserves a funeral service. We are not going to be able to postpone having such a conversation much longer.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 508566 posted on 18-7-2017 at 21:13 Reply With Quote

[bad img]http://t.qkme.me/3p5vpm.jpg[/bad img]

:D
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508569 posted on 18-7-2017 at 22:43 Reply With Quote

Maybe AI is so developed they realise all hope is lost...

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to take you to the bridge.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.