Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Family Oriented "Excursion" on German Railroad
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 508143 posted on 19-6-2017 at 13:01 Reply With Quote
Family Oriented "Excursion" on German Railroad

Family Oriented "Excursion" on German Railroad

Attribution: Railpictures.net uploaded; pix taken May, 2017 by a photog by the name of "J Neu" in Mildenburg, Germany.

There was no info in the pix's ID caption. But it is obvious that this is a narrow guage RR [for the unitiated, RR track widths can roughly be categorized as 'narrow', 'standard', and 'broad' guages].

At the level of a total guess, seeing that "jitney" in the background filled with passengers, this theory occurs to me as to what is going on: here in the USA, when a RR ceases operation/is abandoned, sometimes it occurs that segments of the track are bought up by a local RR historical society, and a seasonal level of operations are offered; this would include some entrepeneur using the defunct line as a tourist attraction touring the countryside.

The pictured "vehicle" in USA RR parlance employes what is call a Hi-Rail modification, and the tech is utilized in a wide variety of motorized vehicles that can travel both on roadways as well as track (the vehicle's motor propels the vehicle). The "Hi" refers to hydraulics that lifts the vehicle on/off the track (usually at a grade crossing) so that the permanently attached RR wheels are in contact, or no longer in contact, with the rails.

Whatever brings out this family, it looks like a very interesting and unusual way for a family outing. I especially enjoyed the intense look on the toddler's face.

There are similar, very limited re scope offerings, in the USA when private owners band together as a kind of hobby club atmosphere and "rents" track for a short while and scoot about in restored RR small maintenance vehicles (and the RR shuts down operations on its track when the "meet" is in progress). I will post a pix the next time a meet's pix is uploaded.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508146 posted on 19-6-2017 at 16:15 Reply With Quote

One for Katsy I should imagine.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 508153 posted on 20-6-2017 at 01:58 Reply With Quote

I like the scooter. Our service vehicles have always been a little more utilitarian than that.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.