Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The Handmaid's Tale
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508102 posted on 17-6-2017 at 11:32 Reply With Quote
The Handmaid's Tale

link to article

Quote:

Since the novel’s publication three decades ago, Gilead has existed as a paper nightmare that gains or loses dimension based on the state of our national politics. Of course, we don’t divide women into classes of Marthas, Handmaids, Econowives, and Wives; we call them “the help,” “surrogates,” the working class, and the one percent. America has never forced fertile women to bear children for infertile ones, but Trump’s pussy-grabbing presidency has given cover to the sort of blatant misogyny many thought consigned to the past. “In Trump’s America, The Handmaid’s Tale matters more than ever,” The Verge declared the day after Trump’s election. In February, the book overtook George Orwell’s 1984 on the Amazon best-seller list. Texas is Gilead and Indiana is Gilead and now that Mike Pence is our vice president, the entire country will look more like Gilead, too.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 508117 posted on 18-6-2017 at 07:48 Reply With Quote

Seen it on the telly and hated it! We'll done, well acted, good story but unwatchable for me. For some reason, Mrs L loves it. But your point is a good one.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 508119 posted on 18-6-2017 at 08:15 Reply With Quote

The TV version is shocking if you haven't read the book. I like the article as it points out what happens to women eventually if those religious sorts who advocate the "freedom" to be stay-at-home wives/mothers at the potential mercy of their spouse's whims.

Terrorism is used to bring in law changes and it is vital that we monitor the freedoms that are being swept away in an apparent attempt to keep us "safe". There is a quote from the book along the lines that "better" is never better for all. Whose lives are you willing to make worse in order to make your own better?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.