Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Nightmare--the word processing programs stopped working on the computer that works well with the printer
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 507902 posted on 3-6-2017 at 23:46 Reply With Quote
Nightmare--the word processing programs stopped working on the computer that works well with the printer

I have been using the XP machine for any word processing I want to print, because the printer driver for my old printer works on it, and it works especially well with Wordpad.

Wordpad stopped working on that machine (I get a message saying it failed to open a new document, when I try to start the program.) So, I attempted to use the bigger-but-slower Open Office 4. It keeps crashing. I tried LibreOffice, and it does not open for me. I downloaded and installed Abiword, in case something has messed up existing programs, thinking a pristine installation might give me a functioning program. It seems to go only so far toward opening, with some things showing up on the screen, but it fails to complete its own display (the features that are signified in the task bar do not fill in).

I'm guessing that some shared Windows file, used by all the word processing programs, is not getting accessed, or is corrupted.

And, you may recall that my newer, faster machine, running Windows 8.1, did not have the appropriate driver available from HP, which is no longer supporting it. I had used a basic driver from the Windows OS list, but was unhappy with it, so I tried installing a driver file I had from HP a few years ago, and it didn't work on the newer machine. So, I think I can use one of my word processing programs on the newer machine to write the sermon, but then I won't be able to print it.

Jack suggested that there must be copies of a good driver I could use on the internet, somewhere--but I don't have lots of time to track one down. [Of course, I now wish I had done so before this crises.] The printer runs from an HP deskjet 5100 series printer. (I seem to recall the exact model number is HP dj 5150.)

If I could get back into the native Windows list of printer drivers and reinstall it, and if it would work to print stuff, I would settle for that (even though it did not give me complete access to every printer feature, like presets for black ink only at fastnormal speed).
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 507903 posted on 4-6-2017 at 00:01 Reply With Quote

I just went to the list of printers in my Windows OS, and it does not have hp deskjet 5100 or 5150 on the list at all. :( I'd thought it did, at an earlier installation attempt. Did I somehow wipe it out when I tried to do what I'd thought would be an improved installation? Or, did I make a mistake with the list?

Am I correct in thinking that I need an exact match?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

[*] Post 507904 posted on 4-6-2017 at 00:02 Reply With Quote

I clicked the choice that asks for Windows to update the list (the prompt says it may take several moments). I hope that the updates only ADD choices, not delete them.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.