Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Forced to marry at 11
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 507853 posted on 29-5-2017 at 21:40 Reply With Quote
Forced to marry at 11

NYT

Quote:

When she was a scrawny 11-year-old, Sherry Johnson found out one day that she was about to be married to a 20-year-old member of her church who had raped her.
“It was forced on me,” she recalls. She had become pregnant, she says, and child welfare authorities were investigating — so her family and church officials decided the simplest way to avoid a messy criminal case was to organize a wedding.
“My mom asked me if I wanted to get married, and I said, ‘I don’t know, what is marriage, how do I act like a wife?’” Johnson remembers today, many years later. “She said, ‘Well, I guess you’re just going to get married.’”
So she was. A government clerk in Tampa, Fla., refused to marry an 11-year-old, even though this was legal in the state, so the wedding party went to nearby Pinellas County, where the clerk issued a marriage license. The license (which I’ve examined) lists her birth date, so officials were aware of her age.

Not surprisingly, the marriage didn’t work out — two-thirds of marriages of underage girls don’t last, one study found — but it did interrupt Johnson’s attendance at elementary school. Today she is campaigning for a state law to curb underage marriages, part of a nationwide movement to end child marriage in America. Meanwhile, children 16 and under are still being married in Florida at a rate of one every few days.

You’re thinking: “Child marriage? That’s what happens in Bangladesh or Tanzania, not America!”

Read the full article.
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 507857 posted on 30-5-2017 at 05:25 Reply With Quote

america - the land of the free - what a laugh!
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 507858 posted on 30-5-2017 at 06:11 Reply With Quote

There was a phrase on T-shirts in the 70s which would not be acceptable now politically but it basically suggested that race causing people to be held back was not nearly as big an issue as gender.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.