Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Obama comes to Scotland
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 507814 posted on 27-5-2017 at 16:44 Reply With Quote
Obama comes to Scotland

Linky

A former pupil at my school has become very rich through his own hard work and working practices. We have a gigantic photo of him in our library.

He invited Obama to a charity dinner at £5000 a plate with half of the proceeds going to the Obama Foundation and half to Scottish charities.

Quote:

The former US president flew into Edinburgh airport on Friday for a speech in front of politicians and business leaders at a charity dinner in the capital.

Barack Obama on food and climate change: ‘We can still act and it won’t be too late’
Read more

However, he made the most of his time by first going to the home of golf for a round at the Old Course in St Andrews.
Philanthropist Sir Tom Hunter invited Obama to speak at a private charity event attended by around 1,200 people, including Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, author JK Rowling and musician Annie Lennox.
Profits from the event, where tables of 10 started at £5,000, are to be split between children’s charities in Scotland and the Obama Foundation, set up by the former president and his wife Michelle.
The Herald reported that when asked by Hunter what he thought about Scotland, Obama said the country “had a lot to offer the world”.
He added: “It is just important we (you) know that and feel confident.”
He also vowed to return to experience “real” Scottish weather after playing golf in 26C (78.8F) heat in St Andrews.
He said: “I promise you I will be back because, unless it is raining and blustery, I will not feel I have got the full Scottish experience.”
During a lengthy speech, Obama also paid tribute to the victims of the Manchester bombing.
Advertisement

According to the Daily Record, he said: “I am convinced the perpetrators of this act will ultimately be brought to justice and the networks will be dismantled.
“And I know this not simply because of the valour of our military and law enforcement personnel, but because I know the character of our peoples.”
The former president told the audience he would not comment on the Brexit or independence referendum results but did say he believed a “strong, united Europe is a necessity for the world”.
Obama was presented with a kilt to mark his visit but seems unlikely to wear it, according to the Herald.
He said: “Unfortunately, I have concluded my legs are too thin to pull it off, but those (tartan) trousers I have seen you wear. I think they look pretty good. So I might try some.”
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 507816 posted on 28-5-2017 at 07:35 Reply With Quote

You've got to like him. Haven't you?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 507826 posted on 29-5-2017 at 01:12 Reply With Quote

Everyone liked him, except one or two people who didn't vote for him. It will be interesting to see what the world makes of the incumbent.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.