Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Life In Iran As Seen By Railroad Fans
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 507713 posted on 19-5-2017 at 12:33 Reply With Quote
Life In Iran As Seen By Railroad Fans

Photo ID Caption "Hauled by a French Alstom Prima diesel, a containers train starts its long northbound journey from Bafq to Mashhad while schoolgirls enjoy the sand dunes."

Since the caption doesn't state that the girls 'antics' were staged, I will presume that it was some sort of 'normal' life for them.

I posted this for no better reason than I don't think that I have ever meet anyone who lived in a desert region, and from a stereotypical mindset, I was quite surprised/taken aback by their choice of a play activity. In hindsight, not really any different re choices available from those of use who live in temperate climates and a 'romp' in the woods type free play.

Attribution: photog: Jean-Marc Frybourg Uploaded to railpictures.net

Mr Frybourg is a frequent contributer to railpictures.net and can truly be defined as a world traveler; he has uploaded pictures from across the globe. The last time he was in Iran (about a year ago), he was part of a group of rail fans on a specially arranged tour group that focused on Iran's rail system; so I presume that's why he is there now. From his past uploaded pictures ID captions from Iran, he, nor any of his fellow travelers uploads, made any comments re negative encounters with Iranian security forces.

It's always good to know with a reminder that there definitely is normal life among the people of Iran, despite the USA govt (and Israel's) never ending sabre rattling re their nuclear projects and their govt officials.

It's really too bad that the 'hands across the water' point of view is lost among most politicians. But then again, having said that, they wouldn't know where to begin.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 507716 posted on 19-5-2017 at 14:27 Reply With Quote

Blimey. A bit barren. Are they doing a sand dance?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 507717 posted on 19-5-2017 at 15:30 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
Blimey. A bit barren. Are they doing a sand dance?

From Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bafq

Very short entry (3 lines):

Bafq (Persian: ??????, also Romanized as Bafq)[1] is a city in and the capital of Bafq County, Yazd Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 30,867, in 7,919 families.

From The Iran Daily Website:
http://iran-daily.com/News/126571.html

Bafq in Yazd province is also known as ‘the city of valors’ as it was the birthplace of a great numbers of champions throughout history.

The city is also famous for its palm groves.

Located 120 kilometers to the southeast of Yazd, Bafq is home to numerous mines and is rich in natural resources.

Dating back to over one thousands years, Bafq has still maintained its ancient appearance and its people speak in local dialects.

The city has been credited for a great number of Iranian luminaries including poet ‘Vahshi Bafqi’, which is a source of pride for its residents.

Situated 995 kilometers above sea-level, the city is bound to Ardakan, Yazd, Kerman and Rafsanjan — all among the most important tourism sites of Iran.

According to some geological claims, Bafq had a shallow, extended sea in ancient times, which has made the region one of the most valuable areas for geological studies.

Bafq is very hot during summer. Tourists are recommended to visit the city in winter when the climate is mild.

Me Here: Another picture on railpictures.net shows a RR maintenance facility.

Obviously they have a water supply of some sort and electricity.

I repeat: those young girls are making do with what they have to work with.

The embedded image does not zoom; you would have to use some site that has satellite images for a more detailed view.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.