Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I came home from a really hard week at work
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 507583 posted on 12-5-2017 at 15:15 Reply With Quote
I came home from a really hard week at work

to a letter saying the road I live on is going to be closed for 15 days for water works but there was reference to U roads that I can't find on the map so I don't know which bits are closing when.

I phoned the helpline who were no help at all because they have put the job out to a contractor and have no record of which bits are being closed. Doesn't that just seem idiotic? I had to give full details before I could get a log number and am awaiting a call back from the sub contractor. I am not holding my breath.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 507584 posted on 12-5-2017 at 16:24 Reply With Quote

Road closings are a hard pill to take.

At my last address, I was on a designated snow route, which meant that neither Ruby nor I were allowed to park on the street if there was 2 inches of snow, because the streets needed to be clear for plowing. We did not have a garage or a full-size driveway, so one vehicle had to be parked either at some other location, or on our yard.:( Parking on a yard is not the greatest in any circumstance, but it is worse when large amounts of snow are falling, and the snow plow is building a small mountain on the sides of the pavement.

Does Britain use snow plows? I have read that some snow removal (in parts of Canada, for example) is done snow-thrower-style, with the snow thrown right into trucks for transport. Canadian low temps make it less likely they can just pile it up for a bit until it melts.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 507585 posted on 12-5-2017 at 16:29 Reply With Quote

No, we just grit snow and drive on top of it. The worst snow I ever experienced was in Virginia funnily enough.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.