Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Example Of "X-Ray Photography"
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 507508 posted on 5-5-2017 at 19:15 Reply With Quote
Example Of "X-Ray Photography"

Example Of "X-Ray Photography"

This is an example of what is, generically speaking re a 'label', called X-Ray Photography [may be known by other labels]. It is NOT done with an x-ray machine, but by a series of still photos that have been stitched together.

I could not find the URL for any explanations of just how this technique is accomplished (it exists, or at least existed some time ago that I read).

It is not an ultracomplicated technique, but it does require re being used by amateur photogs permission and the cooperation of the RR involved (the loco has to be stationery, and the panels covering the internal workings of the loco have to be opened, etc., i. e., it is not a 1-2-3 photo shoot + the post-editing work).

To make sure of what anyone is seeing, this is NOT some kind of a drawing but actually involves a camera.

Attribution: Casey Thomason; Mr Thomason is the official (paid employee type) company photographer for the CSX RR, and posted this pix on railpictures.net. The CSX RR is a freight RR serving major markets in the eastern United States (the USA has 7 major freight RRs each of which, serve a large geographic area with some overlap among these RRs; Canadian operations are also involved).

You are looking at the 16 cyclinder diesel engine (those round circles near the bottom), and only part of the engine is visible. There are some pixs around somewhere of the entire innards of a diesel loco photographed with this technique. I consider this type of photography a kind of equivalent of the cut away drawing.

I suspect that Mr Thomason in his capacity as official photographer got RR maintenance to wash and degrease the engine, i. e., I think these internal areas are typically filthy.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 507511 posted on 6-5-2017 at 01:20 Reply With Quote

With modern techniques, i.e. photoshop et.al. it is rather simple to create such an image.
The process would be similar to, and,I'm guessing here:

1 mount camera on a tripod, or similar stable platform
2 take a series of photos of the object as it is slowly dismantled
3 import all images into photoshop
4 combine each image in reverse order setting each layer (image) as slightly more transparent as the previous.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 507513 posted on 6-5-2017 at 07:53 Reply With Quote

Still good, though.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.