Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Brother Vern
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 507373 posted on 23-4-2017 at 00:16 Reply With Quote
Brother Vern

When Vern told me he couldn't handle the drive to Indiana to do anything about brother Ken's estate, further conversation led me to understand his driving issues had been keeping him from visiting since Ruby and I moved to the city. I proposed that we could pick him up and bring him to our home, or elsewhere, and we could resume spending time together--door-to-door service. He said, "That would work."

He invited us to join him on Thursday for a restaurant dinner, on him, if we would provide transportation. Since I work so late, I drove directly to his house. Ruby and Tim had gotten there ahead of me. Vern directed us to Ming's Buffet.

The food was excellent, better than any Chinese food I've had for as many years as I can remember. The buffet includes one portion of steak, per person. The raspberry tea was excellent. I especially enjoyed the tenderness of the fried shrimp. I also enjoyed crab rangoon and cheese wontons (did I name those rightly?). Ruby loved their catfish, eating two, in addition to the steak. Tim liked the sushi.

The desert choices included 5 flavors of ice cream, which vary. I had butter pecan, and also a dish of a flavor called Superman.

It was good to spend time with Vern again. As a former Saturn owner, he told me some of the virtues of the car. But his was destroyed in an accident, and he went to a bigger car after that, partly for protection.

One bit of sadness. Vern was trying to tear apart his steak with a fork and spoon, not using the steak knife which had been brought back for him. He is partially blind. I had thought he had perhaps a little reduced vision, but it is worse than I had imagined. I told him of the steak knife near his right hand.

He's good for driving to the same places he always goes, in his own town and its familiar streets. But now, in his retirement years (he works 25 hours a week at a department store, by choice), he does not even trust himself to travel to a neighboring city.

So. . . .
that is one more person for Ruby and I to take care of, as needed. It is a good thing that we have big hearts. And, Ruby truly loves him, too. She had worried for a long time that he wasn't coming around because he didn't like something about her. Ruby has a more outgoing personality than I, and is better and getting Vern to talk.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 507374 posted on 23-4-2017 at 08:50 Reply With Quote

I am glad you resolved the visitation issue. It will be good to spend time together on a regular basis.

However if he can't see in his peripheral vision we both know he should not be driving. Unless the laws in the US are wildly inferior to those here.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 507378 posted on 23-4-2017 at 11:43 Reply With Quote

I agree with Mary, if Vern's vision is that bad, he, certainly, should not drive. He sounds as selfless as yourself in that he did not want to burden you with his problems.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.