Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Apple Gets Permit To Test Self-Driving Cars In California
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 507279 posted on 15-4-2017 at 18:56 Reply With Quote
Apple Gets Permit To Test Self-Driving Cars In California

Apple Gets Permit To Test Self-Driving Cars In California

New York Time article 04/14/17; partial c & p

Apple plans to start testing self-driving cars on California roads, the clearest signal yet that the world’s most valuable technology company wants to design or build autonomous vehicle technology.

On Friday, the California Department of Motor Vehicles granted Apple an official test permit that the agency said would allow the company to test autonomous driving technology in three 2015 Lexus RX 450h luxury hybrid sport utility vehicles. The permit authorizes six people to take control of the vehicles if necessary.

Apple has been coy about its self-driving car project, known internally as Project Titan. The iPhone maker has not officially acknowledged the existence of the project, which appeared to be adrift last year. The company laid off dozens of people in the fall and brought in one of its top troubleshooters, Bob Mansfield, to reinvigorate the effort.

In October, Timothy D. Cook, Apple’s chief executive, told investors, “We are always looking at new things, and the car space in general is an area that it’s clear that there are a lot of technologies that will either become available or will be able to revolutionize the car experience.”

Neil Cybart, an independent analyst who writes about Apple at the site Above Avalon, said the company appeared to have moved away from plans to build and sell cars in the way that Tesla does. Instead, he said, “they are working on a transportation platform.”

Start-ups are also vying to enter the market. Udacity, an online education company co-founded by a pioneer of Google’s self-driving car initiative, is building an open-source autonomous car and offering a training course to people who want to become self-driving car engineers.

Me here: so Udacity wants folks to "become self-driving car engineers" via a training course. What could go wrong??? OH! I know, to save money, not to mention break new ground, bats (in cages of course on the car) and their sonar will be used to detect obstacles--not to worry, I don't intend to patent that idea.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 507280 posted on 15-4-2017 at 19:51 Reply With Quote

addendum of a sort

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 507299 posted on 17-4-2017 at 07:41 Reply With Quote

The iCar, I can just imagine what will happen when it needs to download a system update, all of a sudden all of these iCars will stop dead whilst they reboot. You'll need a long cable to charge it. I wonder if an iPhone charger will handle it? Will you have to purchase your fuel from iTunes to maintain your warranty?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.