Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Homeless Friend
Badgergirl
The great striped one

Theme: Halloween 2005

Mood: In love.

[*] Post 506864 posted on 7-3-2017 at 15:51 Reply With Quote
Homeless Friend

Over the past year I've hit it off with one of our regular patrons at work. (Regular-ish).

She's sometimes homeless and if she's got somewhere to stay she tends to be in a very temporary position.

She's had a lot of trauma in her life and it's left her with mental health issues and some occasionally serious physical health ones too (which have been rather callously mistaken for drug addiction, which is not nor ever has been true)

Last night she had absolutely nowhere to go. The homeless crisis centre wasn't helpful at all and nobody got back to her.

I met her in town after work and gave her my tent.
I also unlocked one of the gates to our "Private Garden". J doesn't know I did this and had forbidden me from doing so because of the cost of the key.
(For those across the pond, yes, just like in the film Notting Hill!)

If I had anything like a room to spare I would have done more. J was worried I'd have let her sleep at our place "Or she'd never leave".
A stranger in the house makes people feel vulnerable so I don't blame him.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 506865 posted on 7-3-2017 at 17:24 Reply With Quote

Good for you. Real homelessness is a terrible thing. Sadly, many are tarnished with the brush of the fakers in the streets.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 506870 posted on 7-3-2017 at 22:23 Reply With Quote

It is a stressful time for all concerned. We had a lot to do with homeless youth when we lived in Darwin. SWMBO spent a lot of time lobbying for more resources to help them. There were kids as young as 6 sleeping rough. At least in Darwin they would not freeze to death. Many said the safest place they found to sleep was on the roof of the local schools. That was only because no one would wander by and harass/molest them, or worse.

We did allow them access to our home and they all treated us with respect. Yes, some of them were on drugs (NOT ALL) but they never touched anything in our home as they all appreciated what they were offered. If one had food, they all ate, there was none of this "it's all mine" attitude that seems to be pervasive in modern society.

I wish your friend well, BG.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.