Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Arduino And Raspberry Pi-Similar But With Significant Differences Tech
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 506863 posted on 7-3-2017 at 14:19 Reply With Quote
Arduino And Raspberry Pi-Similar But With Significant Differences Tech

Arduino And Raspberry Pi-Similar But With Significant Differences Tech

It seems that there are alternatives to Raspberry Pi tech; just how similar, and different, will take some digging into. And of course the products that they sell, what they can/cannot do, etc., is not always self-evident to the uninitiated. The prices seem comparable, but as always there is the question of just how much 'bang for the buck' a given item in their inventory will work out for an end user.

Arduino has its own website:
http://www.arduino.org/

On its website, Arduino has posted a comprehensive blog called "Arduino or Raspberry Pi?". It is lengthy and speaks to a host of matters that, as a novice, I find useful re the choices one faces should it ever come to a purchase:
http://www.arduino.org/blog/arduino-or-raspberry-pi

If any reader knows of additional tech in this area of "low cost open source computers" please make mention it. It appears that this tech is going to make for a complicated understanding of the relative advantages/disadvantages of the various product line items.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 506880 posted on 8-3-2017 at 13:54 Reply With Quote

One vendor in this area that appears to be better suited toward the younger youth is Snap Circuits. Their kits use a lego/erector set approach to assembly.

http://www.snapcircuits.net/

I watched a couple of their vids on uTube and I was impressed by the highly visual assembly directions approach to building; their parts are, literally, color coded so that increases the user friendly factor for youngster, and likely for those so young that they haven't mastered reading.

"Elencos new Snap Circuits makes learning electronics easy and fun! Just follow the colorful pictures in our manual and build exciting projects, such as FM radios, digital voice recorders, AM radios, burglar alarms, doorbells, and much more!"

In the vids that I watched there was no coding involved. That limits these kits for those youngsters inclined and ready to learn programming.

And I'm wondering just how difficult the kits that require coding will be for young people where the adults in the home are clueless re programming skills. It may be that the kits requiring learning coding are really something that should be done at school by a trained teacher. It remains to be seen if uTube tutorials on a given kit is really ever going to teach the basics re how to code (as opposed to rote/copy cat learning).

As we all know, the razzle-dazzle factor as a motivator (for both adults and youngsters) to complete a kit doesn't last very long when the assembled working product doesn't really do very much, especially when compared to tech already in existence in the home that outshines by a considerable margin what the kit can do.

Here's one of the kits from Snap Circuits fully assembled.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.