Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Installing a printer
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 506610 posted on 12-2-2017 at 22:07 Reply With Quote
Installing a printer

I plugged my HP Deskjet 5100 series printer into my newer Windows 8 machine, and it was not immediately ready to use. I'd expected it would take care of itself, kind of like a mouse will use a driver already in Windows. Or, perhaps, that it would fetch a driver from the web.

It didn't happen. Do I have to go to the HP website? Or did I miss something I was supposed to do when I plugged it in?

I could look it up. But if I skip discussing it here, it doesn't add anything to KF.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 506611 posted on 13-2-2017 at 00:10 Reply With Quote

I just installed an HP printer and if you go to the HP website for your country (USA I presume), or simply search for 'HP printer drivers download' you will get the usual support stuff re a series of dropdown menus re model, OS, whatever.

Play close attn. to when the install instructions tell you to turn your printer on, as well as when to connect the cable to your PC/laptop. When the install is complete you will get a 'page' with a button asking you if you want to print a test page which you should do. Of course all this presumes that you installed the inkjet cartridge/toner correctly.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 506613 posted on 13-2-2017 at 01:55 Reply With Quote

thankingyou

Your reply brings to mind the old days on KF, when Karl was here, and more of the Forum posts were about computer problems. Drivers required more attention in the early Windows systems, and Karl used to ask us to post links whenever a problem was solved (e.g. when a driver was found that allowed newer hardware to be used with Win95 or Win98).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.