Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Word Processing Program to replace Word Pad
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 506609 posted on 12-2-2017 at 21:59 Reply With Quote
Word Processing Program to replace Word Pad

I liked word Pad on WinXP. I used it instead of full-featured word processing programs like Libre Office or Open Office because I liked to highlight text from web pages and put it into a document without the font size and other characteristics of the website version coming along with the text. With the more complex programs, stuff would come in rectangular blocks and other stuff that I figure was in the html.

On my Windows 8.1 Wordpad, the look of the program is different (not to my liking), and it appears to be more complicated/cluttered. The print seems to be finer, not so easy to read.

I recall Katzy uses something else, but I don't remember the name. It was said to be less bloated than the open source programs I mentioned.

Perhaps someone has another suggestion to make.

I recall, in the early days, there were many word processing programs. I imagine they have thinned out in numbers. I used Leading Edge when I was running a DOS machine.;):P

Or, perhaps I can use something slightly older and simpler that still works in Windows 8.

What do you all suggest?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 506612 posted on 13-2-2017 at 00:30 Reply With Quote

Well ANY/ALL wp programs come with a default setup with options/preferences to modify the interface. Takes a bit of time to go through each option/preference, and some of them are on a one at a time basis to see whatever you've changed looks like. And then you ALSO have to learn how to make the final selection a default template, I. e., the same look/feel every time you open the program with a blank page. Some wp's give you the choice of setting up multiple templates (each with individual 'characteristics') and you then select which one you want when you open up.

Templates = canned pages where some of the text is already setup if you use that setup often. Business type letters are often simply a series of templates that are used over and over again, specific to certain correspondence, with filling in as little as possible that's specific to the purpose of the correspondence.

Hey, you can even do a real signature, scan it, and insert it into the letter as an image file, and no one will be the wiser that you didn't actually sign it.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 506616 posted on 13-2-2017 at 08:54 Reply With Quote

I've been using "open office" for years. Its got all the ms office stuff and is very similar although not identical. And its free!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.