Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Check your facts (and alternative facts)
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 506387 posted on 23-1-2017 at 11:26 Reply With Quote
Check your facts (and alternative facts)

Listening to Woman's Hour this morning and Deborah E. Lipstadt was on talking about her book about holocaust denial. She was sued by the famous Holocaust denier, David Irvin and won!

The case has been turned into a film and should be interesting but she wound the interview up by urging people - specially younger people - to check their facts.

I've been on a minor campaign to get people to do this for ages. Its so easy these days when everyone has immediate access to the internet. Granted you cant always trust wiki and other sources implicitly so it might be best to use a couple of sources of information.

But people still pass on chain emails containing total rubbish and quote "facts" in bars after a few drinks and should be totally embarrassed when you do a quick google and show them up for being so gullible - or sometimes just mischievously lying.

We had an email from a friend about self CPR. Allegedly you can stimulate your own heart during a heart attack by coughing loudly. A quick google quickly exposed it as the total myth it is and our friend could and should have checked himself before passing it on to "ten of his friends".

You must all know someone who has done exactly the same. Passing on untruths and alternative truths. Do they feel silly when you point out how wrong and daft they have been?
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 506388 posted on 23-1-2017 at 14:33 Reply With Quote

I get bunches of them, including that self CPR thing.
I don't point out, but I usually do a quick Google.

Some are pretty obvious, like this one I got on Facebook 10 days ago:
Quote:

Hi I'm Carlos The Director of facebook THURSDAY Hello everyone, it seems that all the warnings were real, facebook use will cost money If you send this string to 18 different from your list, your icon will be blue and it will be free for you.

rolls_eyes
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 506389 posted on 23-1-2017 at 14:56 Reply With Quote

Actually, I might send that one round myself. I'm not a big fan of facebook. It seems set on taking over the world! And, even though we aren't on it, everyone knows what we are up to because other people tell them!:(
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.