Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Windows upsdates problem
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

sad.gif Post 506359 posted on 21-1-2017 at 15:25 Reply With Quote
Windows upsdates problem

I went into my study to do some things on my Acer computer with Windows 8.1, and it is displaying a green screen with the message
Quote:
Keep your PC on until this is done.
Installing update 216 of 227...

I am posting this from the older WinXP machine. I don't know how long these updates have been installing themselves, and I don't know when (or even if) the process will release its hold on the machine any time soon. In the minutes since I have been in the room, the 216 number hasn't changed, so I don't know if the process is progressing, or stalled. The hard drive indicator late is flickering, so I have the impression of some activity.

Is this cause for alarm? Will the machine be released to my use soon? How long do updates take?

I don't know if I really needed any updates, or if MS does unnecessary tinkering. (For example, if they find that their system has a problem with certain 3rd-party software, would they distribute an improvement to everyone, whether the particular computer had that software or not?)

What would happen if I interrupt the process so that I could use the compute? [E.g. interrupt the power and reboot] Would MS grab my computer again?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 506360 posted on 21-1-2017 at 16:48 Reply With Quote

This is FYI ONLY: I don't have Win 8, so I won't attempt to answer any of your questions since assuming what was "true" in previous Win OSs may be different (and thus erroneous for your situation).

But to expedite matters re what's going on, you could do this re informing other posters with MORE precise detailed information:

(1) If you hit the PrtScn/SysRq key (at the top of the keyboard, far right side), you should get a screen capture IMAGE of all of whatever is on the screen of your monitor (but your mileage may vary) [IF that doesn't happen, that in and of itself is worth a topic],

(2) The screen capture image file will need some sort of a relevant file name, with a file format extension suitable for an image file, and typically jpg is among your choices in the Save File diaglog window. And of course you will need to remember where in Explorer you saved that file to--so pick an easy to recall location,

(3) Transfer the image file to a flash drive, and move the drive over to whatever computer you're using to logon to this forum,

(4) I presume that you know that image files on this forum are limited to 200 kb file size, and it should come as no surprise that your screen capture file is much bigger than that. So you will have to open it up in a graphic program and reduce the file size--if you've never done that before, or if you don't have a graphic editing program to begin with, (1) there're plenty of freeware, basic graphic editing programs to download, (2) reducing an image file size is an important skill to learn if you don't know how, i. e., as one for instance WHY-- if you send image files as file attachments to email messages, reducing the file size comes in real handy for both the sender and the recipient; some recipient's email clients limit the file size that they can download/open (called a 'max cap' file size limitation [which includes ALL the files that are attached to that particular emailmessage]--not something the folks generally pay much attn to until something goes wrong and they can't figure out what it is); that kind of stuff is on your email provider site somewhere.

(5) Then post, via the Browser window, that screen capture to a new reply. Yes a screen capture pix is woth a thousand words.

Good luck
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 506363 posted on 21-1-2017 at 22:08 Reply With Quote

The windows updates finished, and I am now able to use the computer again.

I was alarmed because it never happened to me before, and the great number of updates had me wondering if the computer would be busy for hours.

Should I make some change in settings, to keep updates from coming automatically?

I am inclined to think that, if everything is working OK, I might be better off not getting all the updates.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.