Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Film recommendations
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 506125 posted on 6-1-2017 at 01:45 Reply With Quote
Film recommendations

As some of us like film I thought it might be good to recommend a film- old or new - which might be overlooked elsewhere.

I enjoyed "Burnt" and wrote this review at the time. It was generally not well received but it is worth a look at if you like rom-coms.

Quote:

Burnt is a sublime film set in the world of the culinary adventure that is Michelin star restaurant life. The protagonist Adam Jones – Bradley Cooper – is a recovering drug addict who had glory in his youth when he excelled in Paris. He tells the audience he was nearly as good as he thought he was. Having gone to London to try and recreate this success after two years of sobriety the film follows the hero’s journey narrative construct of Campbell. Other characters include rising chefs, old loves, new possibilities and enemies who might be friends and friends who might be enemies.

Cast includes Sienna Miller, Uma Thurman, Emma Thomson, Daniel Bruhl, Omar Sy and Henry Goodman. Because of the world of international cheffing the languages veer between English, French and Italian with subtitles but modern audiences will find this a joy rather than a chore.

As one would expect the dishes themselves are also the stars of the show but there is a nice little bit of product placement in Burger King used to explain the concept of consistency and quality for the worker versus the 500% mark up charged for quality cuisine elsewhere in the city.

If you like your heroes flawed and enjoy the road to redemption, give this film a view. The decision about the success or failure of the journey to the third Michelin star is so subtly done that I needed to rewind to be sure.
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 506128 posted on 6-1-2017 at 06:29 Reply With Quote

Sounds intriguing - and different! Will watch out for it on DVD.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 506129 posted on 6-1-2017 at 10:52 Reply With Quote

Easy Rider
The Graduate
Midnight Cowboy
Silent Running
Jesus Christ Superstar (but you need to connect to your hi-fi and have a wide screen)
Life of Pi in 3d
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.