Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: What Would Indicate A Misconfigured ATA/IDE HD Or Its Data Cable?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505957 posted on 28-12-2016 at 18:59 Reply With Quote
What Would Indicate A Misconfigured ATA/IDE HD Or Its Data Cable?

What Would Indicate A Misconfigured ATA/IDE HD Or Its Data Cable?

This is a 'how quickly "they" forget' topic. It's been 8+ years since I had to deal with this.

While rooting out the correct nomenclature for the parts for my install additional HDs project, and that the next two HD installs involved ATA/IDE type HDs, I came across a website that "reminded" me/refreshed Ye Olde Grey Cells that ATA/IDE HDs have jumper 'thingies" that have to be set up re master/slave. Ditto re where the master/slave thingies on the 40 pin data cable are plugged in re their respective HDs.

I already have installed two IDE HDs, and didn't pay the slightest attention to the considerations I posted in the above paragraph. And they seem to work just fine (as in maybe I simply lucked out???), but in the digital world appearances can be deceiving.

Does anyone know what would be the indicators if I misconfigured the already installed IDE HDs jumper thingies/cable connections?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505961 posted on 29-12-2016 at 00:46 Reply With Quote

You say things seem to be working OK.

If this is so, even when you run programs from two different hard drives which are on the same channel simultaneously, I think you're good. If you have a master and a slave on the channel, the master's controller is making sure the slave only does its thing when the master is not needing to communicate at the same instant.

If you haven't been running programs from both hard drives on the channel, I think you don't know yet if you have a problem on that channel.

Usually an optical drive sharing a channel is set up to be a slave drive. I think a boot drive (containing an OS) is normally (maybe always?) on a master drive.

If I have made a mistake in something I've said in this post, I trust someone who knows the subject better will correct me.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505967 posted on 29-12-2016 at 01:51 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by scholar
You say things seem to be working OK.
...programs from two different hard drives which are on the same channel simultaneously....

I can "see" both HDs in Explorer. But of course the desktop is the one that I booted to. IF I go to Explorer, and as example, launch a pdf file into Foxit Reader, and leave it open, and then go to the other OS, and launch a separate/another PDF file, it will open as a separate tab in the Foxit Reader that is already open. I'm not at all clear what the significance of that is; but at the level of a complete guess, I would think that if I would ever want to have access to both OSs, my only option would be to create some kind of a virtual box for the 2nd OS. As a practical matter doing that, if it could be done to begin with, would serve no practical purpose. Accomplishing that would, perhaps, sharpen my computer skills, but it would also be something that I would totally forget how to do in a very short time period (and making notes about it would be futile, I. e., I have all kinds of tech notes lying around that I forget that I have, and when I do happen to remember, I have zero idea where I put them. So it goes in the fast lane!!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.