Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: FYI: "Review" Of The Standardized Nomenclature For The Dimensions Of Hard Drives
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505930 posted on 27-12-2016 at 01:53 Reply With Quote
FYI: "Review" Of The Standardized Nomenclature For The Dimensions Of Hard Drives

I had completely forgotten all of this:

Source material: I pieced this together as I need to buy internal hard drive bay adapter kits to fit my 2.5" HDs into the bays of my desktop PC. While the HD sizing is standardized, ensuring that an adapter kit has the necessary parts (such as the screws to secure the drive to the floor (or side) of the plate), and also to secure the drive in the bay that matches the kit's specs dimensions.

The 2.5 and 3.5 are inches and they usually designate the diameter of the disk itself and not the housing. The housing enclosure will (of course) always be larger than that.

1.8 inch: Outer measure 2.12 in × 0.314 in × 2.795 in (54 mm × 8 mm × 71 mm). These can be used for Solid State Drives but the disk itself also in iPods, etc.
2.5 inch: Outer measure 2.75 in × 0.275–0.59 in × 3.945 in (69.85 mm × 7–15 mm × 100 mm). These are used in notebooks/laptops and also can be used for Solid State Drives.
3.5 inch: Outer measure 4 in × 1 in × 5.75 in (101.6 mm × 25.4 mm × 146 mm). Those are mostly used in desktop PCs.

It's the width of the drive that you will find when you search out the product (note that it's the actual platters, not the case, so the drives are slightly wider than this). These are standard drive sizes, and you should buy whichever one the device that you're buying for supports. Desktop PC cases or laptops specs should say which size of drive bays are available. If you absolutely can't find a drive in the correct size, there are adapters and brackets to make small drives fit larger mountings as well--there's also a wealth of information via a Google search of the various trade offs between desktop sized HDs and laptop sized HDs.

As a rule of thumb, though, 3.5" tends to be a standard desktop hard drive, 2.5" tends to be solid state drives and laptop hard drives, and 1.8" tends to be laptop-only SSDs and HDDs. 5.25" is pretty much exclusively optical drives.

Me here: I have 3 desktop PCs before me all of which have their side covers off, and all of which have very different "systems" for how a HD is secured in their bays. Before a purchase, it looks like it will pay to enlarge the webpage pix of an adapter to make an eyeball determination that it can be secured inside the drive bay---I'm thinking that smallish bolts will be needed, and the bay itself will probably need pilot holes for the bolts to hold the adapter.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505938 posted on 28-12-2016 at 00:28 Reply With Quote

You are correct in all of your findings. The only caveat, especially in System units (i.e desktop PC) is that some manufacturers us special mountings like clips and slides instead of just plain screws (some Dells IIRC). That does not mean that standard drives do not fit it just means that you need to use their mounts. With a bit of creative thinking, you can still mount a drive. HOW it's mounted is irrelevant in reality. The only devices that need to be mounted in a "proper" way are those that will need external access like floppy drives (remember those), Optical drives, and external caddies.

As long as the case is not moved, then, realistically, you need not secure the drives at all. This is NOT RECOMMENDED. I have secured some drives using only two screws in the past. IF, however, you are a bloke (or bird) that takes his PC around to mates places for all night gaming sessions, then I'd be making sure that EVERYTHING is tied down.

Another caveat is to ensure that your cables do not interfere with airflow and that you Power Supply (as discussed elsewhere) is up to the task.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505941 posted on 28-12-2016 at 01:10 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
...That does not mean that standard drives do not fit it just means that you need to use their mounts....

My reply to your post is not deliberately meant to be funny: my primary PC has its 3.5" HDs held in place by 2 plastic pieces that run the length of the HD, i. e., each one has 2 short pins that fit into holes on the side of all 3.5" HD. You then insert/slide the "assembled" parts into the drive bay--that's all that holds the HD, i. e., friction up against the walls of the bay.

I never saw such a system before (or since), and more importantly had zero idea what these plastic pieces were actually known as for a Google search. I must have spent at least an hour messing with Google, and I finally came across a hit that had these plastic pieces that were similar to mine; the "official" name seems to be "hard drive rails". But the problem now is finding out what kind of rails would fit into my PC's bays, so I sent off a query to the desktop enclosure manufacturer to see if they still have them in stock (8 year old PC). If they don't have them, I will have to revert to my local Staples and see what they have re drive bay mount parts (which would most likely involve the store making an online order), and if they don't work, I can easily return them. Taking about a "project" taking on a life of its own.

Pix embedded of these rails for anyone whose never seen them.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.