Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: How Do I Determine How Many Internal Hard Drives My Desktop PC Has Enough Power For?
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505916 posted on 26-12-2016 at 16:45 Reply With Quote
How Do I Determine How Many Internal Hard Drives My Desktop PC Has Enough Power For?

How Do I Determine How Many Internal Hard Drives My Desktop PC Has Enough Power For?

As I head into the worst part of the winter season, I presume that sooner or later Nature will 'endow' my area with at least one major snow maker.

On such days, and for several days thereafter, I confine myself to quarters, and play 'IT person'.

To pass the time during such occasions, this year I decided to take as many HDs as would fit into my FULL tower size (form factor wise) desktop PC case, and fill up the bays with a combination of IDE and SATA HDs to the extent that I have existing power connections, etc., for them. I still have room for at least 3-4 more HDs, and I need to get some splitter type adapters to install them. And to complicate matters power consumption wise, I have an optical disc drive, and 5-6 'items' plugged into USB ports.

Google tells me that my PC power supply is the limiting factor as to how far that I can go with this. But my computer configuration software doesn't tell me how much power my power supply is rated for, or how much it's using.

I would note that I actually use only one HD at a time re boot up; but I can readily see from Explorer that the other Windows HD that I have currently plugged in is visible (with its own drive letter), and can be seen with all its files (but NOT its desktop, i. e., I do not have this rig configured for dual boot); so I presume its HD is consuming power since it can be seen in Explorer. FYI: the other 2 HDs are Linux distros and their drive letters (IF they have any to begin with after bootup) are not visible. FYI: when I boot up to a Linux distro, that distro can 'see' "portions" of the 2 Win OSs, plus some of the files; AND, wonders of wonders, it will let me open up the MS Office files, and open a Word/Excel file in one of the Libre Office programs. BOTTOM LINE: I need to presume that all 4 HDs are ALWAYS up and running (power consumption total wise), AND, any that I add will also be ALWAYS up and running too.

My question boils down to this: since my power supply does not have a circuit breaker/fuse, I'm concerned that I will over extend the power supply when I plug in one to many HDs and will learn the hard way that I've asked too much of it, and it burns out.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to deal with this potential issue (and NO, I really don't want to spend the money for a larger power supply).
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505917 posted on 26-12-2016 at 17:52 Reply With Quote

Here is a calculator, which is supposed to tell you how much power you need:

http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

One web page I consulted on the problem of burning up a power supply unit had a post saying that the rated wattage for some PSUs is "optimistic" (=exaggerated). I don't know if the calculator really helps, if the rating on the PSU might be overblown.

I would have thought that PSU ratings would be conservative, so that hat customers would not get angry over unexpected failures when the ratings would say they should have kept working.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505921 posted on 26-12-2016 at 21:48 Reply With Quote

Thank you for the URL; it is indeed a very handy tool, but (and there are always "buts") the work involved in completing it put me off, BUT No 2, with a very unexpected positive Eureka (No, not Eureka, CA--nice town by the way).

I have 2 desktop PCs [sitting side by side] with full tower form factors; one I bought from a computer vendor, and the other I built myself (my first and only [and likely last] attempt); I designed it all on my own from the ground up, and opted to overbuild/over-engineer it, to include its power supply.

This 2nd PC is my "INSTANT ON" backup secondary computer that I use, literally, only once a month for the Windows Updates; I keep it in a clone like state in case my primary computer ever goes kaput. It tends to get forgotten about, and not to mention that its infrequent use must mean that it has not been subjected to much in the way of wear and tear.

So your post jarred Ye Olde Grey Cells that I can put most, if not all, these extra HDs into it rather than my primary HD.

I need cables for it to complete this project, but, for the moment, I consider the problem solved.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.