Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Replacing Adobe flashplayer on my XP machine
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505912 posted on 26-12-2016 at 15:46 Reply With Quote
Replacing Adobe flashplayer on my XP machine

I sometimes open a web page and get a message that my Firefox browser is blocking outdated Adobe flashplayer because of its known security issues. This may quickly become an urgent problem, because my e-mail service provider is largely advert-supported, and Firefox has started blocking some flash player content that I think is ads. I fear they will cut me off if their ads don't display.

IIRC, I once tried to update Adobe flash, but my XP machine did not take the update. I think someone here suggested that my machine might not meet minimal specs for the newer version that was offered.

I also think either Katzy or Jmb told me that Adobe flash is no good, anyway.

Can I download another free program, not an Adobe product, that will take over the task? If so, how do I associate it to the task?

When a flash player display is part of a web page, does my computer, or perhaps my browser, give the task to a flashplayer program (like when my computer is set up for a .doc extension to open in Wordpad or Open Office)? Or do modern web pages embed their own display, or perhaps try to connect with Adobe flash instead of leaving that choice to my machine?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505925 posted on 27-12-2016 at 01:02 Reply With Quote

How critical is it that you see the content? If Flash does not work on a page, I can generally get the idea of what it's about by the accompanying text. Often it not because your flash is outdated, but, theirs.
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 505956 posted on 28-12-2016 at 15:02 Reply With Quote

Have you tried Chrome?
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.