Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Question: Adding A Linux Hard Drive To A PC That Has A Windows OS HD
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505860 posted on 22-12-2016 at 20:38 Reply With Quote
Question: Adding A Linux Hard Drive To A PC That Has A Windows OS HD

Question: Adding A Linux Hard Drive To A PC That Has A Windows OS HD

This is really a question of whether or not I have anything to lose by trying this scheme out, i. e., whether there is ANY possibility that I will irreversibly ruin the Windows OS HD.

My scheme is straightforward, but the Google hits all seem to be about partitioning the existing Win OS HD (to install the Linux distro).

So I have a run of the mill XP OS HD [32 bit] that works, and a run of the mill Linux distro on another HD (Mageia-64 bit] that also is up and running. I would like to hook (as in chain) both of them up.

I have zero idea if that's a sound idea, and even less of an idea if I would automatically get a dual boot setup choice upon bootup [without my, before the fact, intervening with some sort of a program/whatever to create that, i. e., I want a screen that asks me which one I want [Note: being able to boot up one, and then being able to switch over to the other (without rebooting) is totally unimportant, as is to have file sharing capability].

I, VERY VERY vaguely, seem to recall back in the day that if you did this with different Win OSs, that wasn't a bona fide dual boot, and it would 'superficially' APPEAR to work, and you would corrupt the files that you created.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 505861 posted on 22-12-2016 at 20:47 Reply With Quote

I did that, for a while. Just plugged the drive in and used F11 to select the boot drive.

If the Windoze drive is NTFS, the Linux drive might not see it. That might be out of date, now. But, it sure couldn't way back when I did it.

Don't leave a Linux drive connected, when you install Windoze, though, coz it'll trample all over it.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505868 posted on 23-12-2016 at 11:58 Reply With Quote

When I looked at this last (and it was a couple of years back), the procedure was,

Install windoze first (starting with the oldest windoze that you need) and then Linux.

You can install Linux to another drive but THIS IS THE CAVEAT. Linux creates a boot sector on the Windoze drive to boot a linux menu (G.R.U.B.) which is the boot loader for the different Operating systems. Should you decide to do away with Linux you then have to deal with the bootloader on the Windoze drive. Typically a re-partition, format and re-load.

Katzy's solution in many ways is simpler, but, in others, more complex.

1. Create your Windoze drive
2. Unplug it
3. Connect your Linux drive
4. Install Linux
5. Re-connect your Windoze drive and
6. Press F11 to select your boot drive.

FWIW Linux can usually read NTFS partitions now, but you may need to install an NTFS boot loader from the canonical programs list.
There is also a linux partition mounter for windoze too, so that you can access Linux partitions with file manager.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.