Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Windows Keyboard "Shortcut" Question
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505808 posted on 18-12-2016 at 13:42 Reply With Quote
Windows Keyboard "Shortcut" Question

Windows Keyboard "Shortcut" Question

I'm running into a problem upon a cold bootup with my XP OS HD; the mouse drivers aren't loading; this problem is compounded during any bootup as I normally wind up with a screen full of pop up dialog windows all on top of one another (or whatever their formal name is), and I can't close them out since I don't have a mouse. To complicate matters, XP OS insists, before it will automatically load the mouse drivers, that I sign off in one of these pop up windows that the mouse drivers aren't digitally signed, etc.,; unfortunately this sign off window is buried under other pop up windows.

These various windows can be manually closed out via keyboard shortcuts/strokes (at least that's what I think MS' nomenclature is, but not sure); each of these popup windows has buttons in them, and the first letter of each choice in each button in each pop up window has the first letter of a tab choice underlined.

I vaguely recall that some combination of keyboard strokes will manually select one of these buttons (such as Shift + the applicable first letter of the button verbiage--that doesn't work by the way).

I do recall that this whole area of MS is called "keyboard shortcuts", but a Google search of a large number of hits isn't telling me what procedure/combination to use with keyboard strokes to close out these windows (and likely due to the fact that I'm not using the right term for whatever MS calls this feature--not getting the right hits).

Anyone remember what the formal MS name for these keyboard strokes is, or what the combo is? [I need to print out the instructions for reference sinceI run into this so rarely, I'll forget for sure].

Thanks.
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 505809 posted on 18-12-2016 at 14:17 Reply With Quote

https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/keys_general.mspx?mfr=true

Alt + tab will alternate between the items I think.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505810 posted on 18-12-2016 at 16:56 Reply With Quote
ADDENDUM

Quaver: thank you for the help; I suspect that there is documented and undocumented information galore about Windows, and what I have posted here should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt, BECAUSE what I CANNOT do is test what I have posted across multiple OSs to see if MS made the information I found CONSISTENT across them all.

I used my head for a welcome change, and it eureka occurred to me that I could practice finding the key combo by ye olde trial and error when I switched over to my primary HD & Win 7. The combo appears to be the 'Alt + First letter'.

The rest of this post is FYI: While I was at it, I put ye olde Google through its paces, and used the following phrase, 'using Windows without a mouse'. And yes, there were numerous hits that explained in minute detail just how to do that. And the minute detail was very necessary as I practiced some more.

It indeed is possible, but whether it is practical to do so is quite another matter. The webpages with these hits are quite lengthy since there is a great deal of detail for every conceivable situation any Windows user would find themselves facing.

In addition, Windows has its own internal nomenclature re the formal names of the various windows that we all see, i. e., you would actually also have to master these names, and when they occur, as to what keystrokes come into play. A great many of the keystrokes involve use of the arrow keys. Also coming into play as an alternative to many (but NOT all) keystrokes are various command prompt commands to launch this or that.

Without a mouse you could, literally, have a blank desktop (at least I didn't come across anything that would launch a specific desktop GUI--but I suspect there likely is). Such a system completely revolves around the Start button via that dedicated Windows key at the bottom of the keyboard and getting into the Start menu and finding the program that you want via pressing the key for its first letter, etc.,. And the arrow keys get a good workout.

IMO such possibilities are only worth the effort to learn if Windows is only partially hung up, but really it's simply just easier to hit the reboot button on the PC (or the Restart button via the Shut Down choices if you can get that far) and hope that the problem clears itself upon reboot. Having a spare mouse around is worth the expense.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.