Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: FYI: Chrome Update: Browser Will Warn Users About Unsecure Websites
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505694 posted on 11-12-2016 at 16:39 Reply With Quote
FYI: Chrome Update: Browser Will Warn Users About Unsecure Websites

FYI: Chrome Update: Browser Will Warn Users About Unsecure Websites

International Business Times-USA Edition-Technology Section:

http://www.ibtimes.com/chrome-update-browser-will-warn-users-about-unsecure-websites-2458133

First few paragraphs (verbatim):

Sketchy retail sites have made their way into Google’s crosshairs. The latest update on its way for Google Chrome will clearly mark retail sites using out of date security protocols as being a risk to users. [this update is a beta version]

The change, which will first appear in the Chrome 56 beta, will brand any website that collects passwords or credit card information while using unencrypted HTTP protocols will be labeled with as “not secure” directly in the address bar.

Google signaled in a blog post that the warning represented a new approach to insecure sites, which the company had previously not outed as many sites underwent the process of converting to HTTPS, which adds an additional layer of security to standard web protocol.

The threat of this public shaming in browser has been looming for some time. Google proposed a marker that would indicate when a website was non-secure back in 2014 and has experimented with various forms of the idea ever since.

Me here: a question: for browsers in general, is there some way of doing what Chrome is attempting when a webpage is loaded as to whether this HTTPS protocol is being used??

Sample example image file embedded.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505698 posted on 11-12-2016 at 17:43 Reply With Quote
ADDENDUM

This reply is an attempt to become 'initiated' in this matter, knowing that for a novice in this area of technology such as myself, it could be way more complicated that I could ever imagine. My prime motivation is to be a secure as possible when using my credit card to make an online purchase.

I began by using Google with search words "how to tell what security protocol a website uses". And yes, there were zillions of hits that spoke to matters that I could not fully 'digest' as to what they were 'talking about'.

I picked this site since the verbiage was comprehensible for someone at my level: the article is entitled "How to Determine SSL Protocol Version"; I must admit that I am not at all sure if this article actually pertains to my topic post re the beta Chrome article.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/determine-ssl-protocol-version-61458.html

I won't even begin to summarize that website since I might oversimplfy the complexity of the matter.

I did visit Karls Forum in my IE Ver 11 browser, and did the 'procedure' as outlined in the URL; I did at printscreen and embedded it.

Since we all can read, I won't attempt to even begin to interpret the printscreen of the certificate, and more importantly its implications, to include what seems to me the most important question and whether it really matters [for situations other than online purchases] (and yes I was logged in when I did the procedure).

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505703 posted on 11-12-2016 at 23:42 Reply With Quote

Sorry Jack, I won't even pretend to understand. I'd suspect, though, like many other security "Scares" that there will be many who will see something like this and run around like Chicken Little screaming, "The sky is Falling". I'm not saying that there is nothing to fear, but, like many things, it has to be a combination of factors to actually perpetrate a security breach.

e.g.
poor surfing habits
little, or no, security
poorly updated system. and so on.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.