Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Getting started with Acer computer Windows 8.1
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505662 posted on 10-12-2016 at 03:38 Reply With Quote
Getting started with Acer computer Windows 8.1

I got the new computer on. It has asked me a couple of times for my Acer ID, or gives me a button to create an Acer ID.

Meanwhile, I don't even have it hooked up to the internet yet. I'm thinking that I just need to find the right kind of cord/cable and plug it into my routher.

I tried to open a program called abDocs, but only got the Acer ID request.

I had a chance to look at programs, and the list included Microsoft Office, but the list only gave me the choices of repairing or deleting the program. What is that about?

I'm wondering whether to copy files to my USB thumb drive (such as the installation file for Open Office), or to hook up to my router and try to download through it.

This is the first time I remember starting a new computer onto an established router.

But, I did accomplish my first goal--the computer starts, and the OS and peripherals that I've checked thus far work. But, I haven't plugged in a thumb drive or tried an optical disk yet.

Does anyone care to offer any pointers?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 505663 posted on 10-12-2016 at 07:41 Reply With Quote

Unbelievable.

Whenever I get a new laptop I turn it on, create a new identity or use the usual Windows one which syncs all my data from machine to machine then enter the wifi password and, as if by magic, I'm online and being productive within 30 minutes.

Just follow any screen instructions, stop over complicating things, lock your thumb drives in a drawer until you have gotten to know your new machine.

Update to W10.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505665 posted on 10-12-2016 at 10:18 Reply With Quote

Is this a BRAND NEW machine or a SECOND HAND machine? If second hand, Has it been restored to factory defaults?

DON'T CHANGE or install anything until you have a CURRENT OS restore disk. (Typically manufacturers give you the option of creating those VERY early in the piece when setting up a new machine).

ONCE that is done, we can guide you through the processes of getting the machine ready for use!!!!
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.