Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: How Do I Switch Back & Forth From A Wired & Wireless Internet Connection
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505577 posted on 4-12-2016 at 18:05 Reply With Quote
How Do I Switch Back & Forth From A Wired & Wireless Internet Connection

I've installed Win XP OS with all the service packs, etc., on a desktop PC that was "designed" for Win 7 OS. This includes a MOBO with an onboard network adapter.

This install has been UGLY beyond belief. My XP OEM CD was for a vendor which came with a 2nd Utility/Drivers CD that work only on that machine; this machine also has a CD for utility/drivers BUT only for Win 7. No Joy with the drivers [but I finally found online drivers that seem to work vis a visDevice Manager but none too sure that's true].

I finally got a Internet connection by a shot in the dark USB wireless adapter. Windows Network Connections shows (image file attached) that the LAN is installed, BUT I can't disconnect the wireless adapter as I get a strange dialog window telling me "it's not possible....". I really would like to see the wired LAN working.

To be clear about this, there is NO network adapter card in this PC; its all onboard MOBO.

Any ideas as to what I could try???

Addendum for all you tech types: I have done the Windows Update bit via the typical icon in taskbar tray; BUT when I try to launch the Windows Update from the Start Menu, and IE opens up, IE tells me there is NO INTERNET CONNECTION--that is clearly NOT the result of IE's security settings (which I've played with). Anyone with any kind of an explanation as to how that could be happening???? & NOT to mention, if that's the case, how the Update Icon in taskbar shows up?

FYI: IE Ver 8 is the one and only IE ver that's going to live in XP, unless I get an update that changes it, and it doesn't look like that's going to occur.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505590 posted on 6-12-2016 at 02:55 Reply With Quote

Can you go the motherboard manufacturers website? They should have the appropriate drivers there. Everest may tell you what your MOBO is, IIRC, it might even find drivers for you (It's one tool that I use infrequently)
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.