Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Recommendations For A Hard Drive Diagnostic Program
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505518 posted on 1-12-2016 at 15:28 Reply With Quote
Recommendations For A Hard Drive Diagnostic Program

I attempted a 'resurrection' of a 13 yr old desktop PC for a legacy peripheral that requires a PCI SCSI card (all my current desktops have the newer circuit boards slots [not recalling what they're called]). This an IDE ONLY PC (and apparently there is no such thing as an 'adapter' for a SATA style HD, i. e., IDE HDs have gone the way of the dinosaur, so I had to fall back on ancient, as in a long term storage drawer IDE HDs that had 'previous service' to install an OS, etc.,). Two of the HDs failed in flight (it was a very long day). I got a 3rd to, so far, live again.

So I'm looking for a free HD diagnostic program (XP OS) that can spot HDs on the verge of failure. Any recommendations? (and it appears that the manufacturers of what I have in storage have gone out of business, i. e., typically HD manufacturers have such a tool in the support section of their website, but I would prefer some sort of a universal diagnostic tool).
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 505521 posted on 1-12-2016 at 21:32 Reply With Quote

https://www.lifewire.com/free-hard-drive-testing-programs-2626183

Or...

Open "My Computer" and select the disk you want to check.

In the File menu, click Properties.

In the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click "Check Now".

Under "Check disk" options, select the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" check box and see how that goes.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505524 posted on 2-12-2016 at 02:47 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
Open "My Computer" and select the disk you want to check....
....and see how that goes.

I did that multiple times as both drives went downhill. But the on screen verbiage as it did the various stages in that process, didn't indicate anything was wrong. And since I was installing various software programs, I was 'hoping' that the problems were some kind of conflicts that were created by the installs. Finally during a boot up, the HD was no longer being recognized by BIOS. That was the end of that.

Perhaps all those HD diagnostic programs that were in your URL are really ONLY useful for home users, i. e., perhaps they are NOT sophisticated enough to analyze in depth since they only give a pass/fail score to include NO 'warning' that a 'failure' is imminent. In fact, I'm not really sure what a "fail" test means since if a HD fails, you wouldn't be able to run the diagnostic gear to begin with; OR perhaps they are really designed, at a practical level, for systems with 2 HDs and you can run the scan from the good HD.

Thank you anyway for the help. It pays I guess to have a drawer "full" of obsolete HDs scavenged from PCs that were discarded long ago (their towers are still around, and I have a mind to see if I can scavenge the RAM from them to see if they would work in the desktop that I got to function on the 3rd try).

The SCSI card that's the root of all this work is easily in the 15-20 yrs old range, and maybe older (and of course Adaptec stopped making it long ago, and there's no replacement for it).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.