Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: I'm thinking of getting a newer machine
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505434 posted on 26-11-2016 at 20:57 Reply With Quote
I'm thinking of getting a newer machine

After the desktop machine I have been using started having problems, I began to wonder if I should get a newer machine.

As I browsed through some cheaper refurbished machines, I noticed that they all seemed close to my processor speed (all around 5 GHz). Formerly, processor speeds were moving up fairly dramatically between each time I was checking for a possible newer purchase. Have the speeds nearly leveled off in recent years?

I noticed the RAM listed for the refurbished machines is sometimes higher than my machine's 2 Gb. It appears that refurbished machines comparable to mine can run under $100. Machines with more RAM are mostly listing higher, but may still hit under $200.

But. . . the refurbished machines all have Windows 7, 8, or 10. Can I use my older XP programs on them?

Will the newer machines run significantly faster because of the greater memory. I must confess, I sometimes leave many windows open on my browser, and leave programs like OpenOffice running at the same time.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 505437 posted on 26-11-2016 at 21:15 Reply With Quote

You can never have too much RAM. Unless you have more than Windoze can use, of course. :)

I have yet to find a program that I used on XP that won't run on W7, even if I have to set the compatibility to do so. Use a decent search engine, to research that. Not too much experience of W8, as I removed it the day after I installed it, coz it was just too awful. Same with W10. I've found a few compatibility hassles with W10 on my lappy, though. I rarely use that, though, coz I hate W10 more than I detested W8.

Leaving loads of programs running, at the same time, chews RAM and makes things run slower. Logic alone will tell you that. You can set program priorities, of course. Two or three should be OK, unless you have a tiny amount of RAM.

Of course, if you find something you can only run with XP, you could use XP Mode, if you get W7.

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-Xp-Mode-in-Windows-7

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8002
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505439 posted on 27-11-2016 at 00:52 Reply With Quote

I wind up using several programs because they work together for me.

For example, I use the Firefox browser to view documents on web sites in sermon preparation. I have a file management program, Total Commander, that helps me see what documents I have already saved and how the directories are organized. I copy material from the displayed documents into a full-feature word processor if I want to save pics, colored highlighting, etc. I have Word Pad open so that I can paste text into it if I want Word Pad's margins and so forth to prevail over the way it was displayed in the browser. I usually have browser tabs open for e-mails, checking weather, checking KF, and news.

I do have to watch out that I don't leave open windows that refresh themselves (e.g. drudgereport). They seem to clog up the browser cache.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.