Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Sudden full shut-down of XP machine
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

sad.gif Post 505430 posted on 26-11-2016 at 18:47 Reply With Quote
Sudden full shut-down of XP machine

I have had my XP machine shut down suddenly, several times now. It stops working abruptly. Everything goes off--the fans, the power light, the video output.

After I accessed the inside of the box and brushed off the worst of the dust bunnies, it would stay on for a longer period of time.

I see the CPU cooling fan is running. I did get some dust off of it, but the fan blades have some dust adhering to them. I could clean them further with a cotton swab stick and alcohol, if that would be likely to help.

I was already wondering about getting a newer used desktop machine. Unhappily, it looks to me as though few people are buying desktop machines for personal use lately. 80% of the ads for used personal machines are laptops. The desktop machines I have seen in the ads are mostly listed as gaming computers, and the owners want $600 or more for them.

What should I do to keep my present machine running, short of taking it in to be worked on by a repair person?

If I want to buy a used desktop machine, perhaps I need to get it from a dealer in used machines. A few years ago, there was at least one shop that perked up machines retired from businesses, so that they could be used by people like me.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505431 posted on 26-11-2016 at 19:30 Reply With Quote

I presume that you are able to post to this forum re this problem on some other machine--yes/no???

IF you can access a computer, any computer/smart phone with Internet access, a typical Google search, with search words to the effect of something like, "desktop pc shut down by itself" will yield a ton, as in thousands of hits, re various and sundry other folks to other forums, etc., who have had the same problem, and a host of replies as to what to check--GROAN re a test of one's patience/perseverance (AKA perseveration)/endurance, i. e., spending money to make the problem go away seems like blessed relief relative to an endless series of procedures that test your will power with no guarantee that any of them will work.

Of particular importance, is paying very close attn. to the boot up sequence of verbiage re error messages, especially one that says something like 'CPU fan failure'. There is a built in thermal protector on just about all MOBOs, and just because a fan blade is spinning doesn't necessarily mean that it's spinning fast enough to cool things down and once the max temp is reached off she goes (and that can happen very quickly).
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 505432 posted on 26-11-2016 at 20:16 Reply With Quote

I just used CPU-Z and found my machine dates from October 2009, and has DRAM frequency of 363 Mb and FSB lists CPU/8. I recall FSB is Front Serial Bus, but I don't know what the 8 actually signifies.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.