Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Librarian Poo
Badgergirl
The great striped one

Theme: Halloween 2005

Mood: In love.

[*] Post 505264 posted on 15-11-2016 at 11:37 Reply With Quote
Librarian Poo

(If you get the reference!)

I lost my temper yesterday. Yet another group of loud, disrespectful teenagers made me flip my lid. I'm in a little bit of bother for swearing but no formal warnings or anything. One woman complained about me (Moron, why not complain about the kids!!).

"THIS IS A LIBRARY", I remember yelling.
"PEOPLE COME IN HERE TO STUDY, PEOPLE COME IN HERE TO READ, PEOPLE COME IN HERE TO USE THE FACILITIES QUIETLY AND YOU'RE SHITTING ON THAT, NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS LIBRARY!"

I stormed off.

I don't have a temper normally. Not at all.

Our boss wants "Solutions, not problems" but poo poos any suggestion we make. Her ONLY idea so far has been to try and limit the charging of phones (where they congregate around sockets), but as I pointed out, they aren't always charging them while and we *do* offer free Wifi to all.

The other week we couldn't lock up for ten minutes as a group were betting the first one to leave got a dead arm!

The Caretaker role has gone now, and this problem has got worse since we lost it (housekeeping duties are shared...and let's be honest mostly between the men who were caretakers and are now Library assistants).

GRRRR!!!!
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)
Member Is Online

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505266 posted on 15-11-2016 at 19:09 Reply With Quote

You're dealing with, literally, an age old problem.

Libraries (and just about any public space) have sought, with varying degrees of success, to respond to the kinds of problems you described.

Rather than 'reinvent the wheel', I would offer up this idea: I presume that there is some kind of a national librarian professional association, and I presume that they have annual meetings that include workshops/seminars/etc.,. And I presume that there is some level of year round staff for this association that is available for contact.

So see if this topic/problem has been covered at any of their annual meetings, and more importantly if it has, who the presenter(s) was, and a contact address of some sort.

If there is no convenient way of finding this information, try a university website that offers a degree in library "science" (typical USA nomenclature), and get the contact email for the department head, and ask for recommendations re a methodology of how to proceed finding out systematically what various libraries have already attempted to deal with the matter, to include the lessons learned with the various attempts.

Such information would give you some basic ideas that you could modify to suit your particular circumstances, to include the all important approximate cost factor, as well as the manpower one.

There is always a learning curve with program innovation, and it's always rather steep when dealing with teenagers.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 505269 posted on 15-11-2016 at 20:08 Reply With Quote

Whilst Jacks advice is sage and good. I'm going to add to the rant. Sadly time was when you walked into a doctor's surgery, or hospital, etc. and you could hear a pin drop. Now, the waiting room is filled with TVs running at full bore, Muzac at full bore and people talking at full bore! The shopping centre is almost quieter! I probably would have told the kids to bugger off too, BG.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.