Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: UK Plans To Crash Drones Into (Empty) Passenger Jets Mid-Air For Safety Testing
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 505015 posted on 19-10-2016 at 15:51 Reply With Quote
UK Plans To Crash Drones Into (Empty) Passenger Jets Mid-Air For Safety Testing

UK Plans To Crash Drones Into (Empty) Passenger Jets Mid-Air For Safety Testing

Verbatim C & P

After a number of close calls in recent months, UK officials are committed to safety testing drones that share the air with passenger jets by crashing them into one another mid-flight.

Committing more than £250,000 ($304,962), the Department for Transport and Civil Aviation Authority teamed with the Ministry of Defense to carry out the tests on 5,000 square miles of restricted airspace in Snowdonia, Wales. Dr. Peter Downer of the Ministry of Defense told Daily Mail:

"We are conducting mid-air collision studies for the CAA to look at impact of aircraft with unmanned vehicles.

There is a series of trials about the security risks and we need to continue this with a commercial study. There will be further studies of mid-air collisions of drone impact with fuselage and windows."

According to the National Air Traffic Service, there are now more than two million drones competing for airspace in Britain. Many more are set to come online in the coming years as everyone from Amazon to Dominos makes a bid to increase delivery capacity through use of drones.

Testing on empty flights is an attempt to learn more about the potential ramifications if one of Britain’s reported 23 near-misses over a six month period were to actually make contact. Still, it seems like a toddler mentality of ramming things together to see what happens — not that we have a problem with that.

Me here: I, for one, do hope that this article is either factually all wrong, or, by deliberate intent of its author, has left out key pieces of information that would mitigate the risks involved. For one thing, it doesn't mention what size drones will be used (I presume that size is a matter of how much each one weighs), as well as how fast the aircraft and the drone are going when they collide.

As a matter of personal discretion, I think that I will postpone my planned trip to Snowdonia, Wales, not that anyone should interpret that to mean that I have concluded that the personnel in the Department for Transport are a bunch of fools/lunatics/whatever. And for those on this board who are more cynical than I am, please do not conclude that the US govt put the Department for Transport up to this plan, unless they have solid proof of that--just saying!!
Nimuae
Rajkumari

Theme: KF Blue

Mood: Enigmatic !

[*] Post 505016 posted on 19-10-2016 at 19:41 Reply With Quote

What a total waste of money !
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 505017 posted on 19-10-2016 at 22:28 Reply With Quote

Drones are a danger until proven otherwise.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.