Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Should Schools Teach Police Interaction????
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504867 posted on 4-10-2016 at 16:35 Reply With Quote
Should Schools Teach Police Interaction????

Should Schools Teach Police Interaction????

As I was changing TV channels (USA), a channel for some talking heads type program had a menu bar caption for this topic, "Should Schools Teach Police Interaction". It's clear that what this topic is referring to are tactics/strategies to preclude an encounter with the police turning deadly, i. e., a preventative approach to ensure that the police do not perceive a need to use deadly force.

Apparently this topic has to do with recent USA police shootings/confrontations that escalated when the "subject" refused to COMPLETELY comply with ALL the police "directives", to include some incidents where the subject did not show their hands (the police already had their guns drawn), as well as a subset of these incidents where they either had some object in their hands, or during the course of the encounter took an object out and held it, and the police opened fire.

For the moment, I will mull this over before I, personally, speak to whether this is an appropriate/necessary/worthwhile subject curriculum matter for the schools to get involved in.

Just in case anyone across the ponds are NOT aware of this, 100% of USA law enforcement personnel are armed; some also have tasers. I don't know what percentage also have some type of a pepper spray.
John_Little
Chads-r-us...

Mood: Confused

[*] Post 504868 posted on 4-10-2016 at 16:55 Reply With Quote

It would never have occured to me years ago but these days it seems like a good idea to me. Especially when getting it wrong could lead to you being shot or tasered.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504869 posted on 4-10-2016 at 17:57 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by John_Little
It would never have occured to me years ago but these days it seems like a good idea to me....

John let me take your response, and cover a component of a possible implementation that I forget to raise when I posted this topic.

To wit: should such a course be taught by a police officer, OR by some specially "trained", already on the staff, school teacher (who has no law enforcement work experience); secondly, if it is a police officer, should any consideration be given to a male officer versus female (in the USA, the majority of police officers are male, but I don't have any stats on that)? In addition should that officer be one in uniform, and they will definitely be wearing their sidearm, OR should it be a detective who typically would be wearing a coat jacket, and possibly not have their weapon visible? AND, in a school setting where the majority of the pupils belong to some minority group (and there are large numbers of schools where that is the case), should the police officer be a member of the minority community?

I would also point out that in many USA police departments, the police officer may not live/reside in the town that they patrol in (and not even in a burb adjacent to the central city); my local rag of a newspaper, if I recall correctly, has never published that stat for the entire police department (500+).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.