Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Update on brother-in-law
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 504811 posted on 30-9-2016 at 01:30 Reply With Quote
Update on brother-in-law

Marvin has not turned himself in, though the days since he was supposed to do so have lengthened. Police have searched our home, here, for him (weeks ago). Ruby insisted that he vacate (with my support).

But, when he was in the hospital for being hit with the car, the tests showed that he had gall stones and spots on his lung. Since then, exploratory surgery indicates cancer in his lymph nodes.

Prison health care in the US is abysmal. Gall stones can be extremely painful. Spreading cancer which might be stopped with better care can kill you when the government health care in prison drags its feet.

Marvin hopes to remain a fugitive until the hospital has done what it can for him. If he cannot recover from the cancer--well, if his parole should be revoked, his remaining years after returning to prison could be the rest of a short life.

Marvin was told to leave the home in which he had been staying. Ruby proposed to me that we take him back until he can get his operations.

I am inclined to have compassion on him. It seems overly harsh to me for him to die from cancer as an indirect consequence of his parole being revoked.

And, if it is already too late to stop the cancer--we both love him, and would like to have time with him outside prison before he should die.

I hope his little son can have more time with him, too. I don't yet know if that will work, so long as Marvin is a wanted man.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 504816 posted on 30-9-2016 at 07:14 Reply With Quote

Regardless of his health, he is a fugitive from justice which is a crime in itself. If you harbour him, you would also be guilty of aiding and abetting. He should hand himself in, and rely on the mercy of the courts allowing him to obtain suitable treatment. I might sound bloody minded here, but, unfortunately we must be held accountable for our actions, both here, and in the next life.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504823 posted on 30-9-2016 at 13:26 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
Regardless of his health, he is a fugitive from justice.....

There is some kind of a "movement" going on here in the USA re the "aging out" of a segment of the prison population (for those across the ponds: there are two types of penal institutions, (1) federal jails (for those convicted of a federal crime), & (2) state run jails (and all 50 states have their own set of rules/regs/practices).

I'm not sure where this movement has progressed at this point, but "they" want sick inmates, to include those with such a degree of chronic health problems that they are "invalids" to move to/be placed in community based nursing homes (which I would guess would include hospice situations for inmates who are terminally ill). Needless to say it would be up to each state to come up with its own set of "rules" re such inmates; from what I've read community based nursing homes are up in arms re such a concept even if, as an example, a convicted murderer can't even get out of bed anymore, never mind the possibility of the inmate murdering again. This push back by nursing homes IMO really reflects a strongly held perception that the govt is incompetent and will use nursing homes as dumping grounds because the cost of care will be borne by a different arm of the govt.

True story: I ran into the director of nursing from a nursing home who was making a site visit to a local hospital; she said that she was there to evaluate a patient who the hospital said was ready for discharge, but she, from experience, felt that (all) hospitals tended to minimize the degree of care on the paperwork the hospital sent out that the patient needed to make it sound like there was nothing complicated re the patient's health problems. She basically was saying that hospitals lie to nursing homes just to get the patient out the door (and open up a needed in-patient bed). Welcome To What Goes On In The Real World (that you never hear/read about).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.