Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: For All You Trainspotters A Very Unusual Photo
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504588 posted on 14-9-2016 at 16:21 Reply With Quote
For All You Trainspotters A Very Unusual Photo

For All You Trainspotters A Very Unusual Photo

Trainspotters = "Foamers" in some countries

This pix was taken a few days ago and uploaded to a USA based website (railpictures.net) that specializes in amateur photogs' pixs of all things railroading (railpictures is a kind of still pixs version of YouTube-FREE; some of the pixs go back dozens of years ago from someone's private collection). The pixs are from around the globe, but mostly from the USA. There are over 500,000 pixs on this site, and it has an excellent search algorithm for anyone wanting to locate any kind of a subset of the pixs.

I must admit that when I first saw this pix, I was very, very surprised at its location. Almost all of the pixs have an ID caption; this one does not except for it location--Mongolia. Yes, that's right Mongolia.

Since it didn't have an ID caption, it is unknown whether the men in this pix are Mongolian citizens, OR perhaps tourists from another country traveling via their cycles, etc.,. There was a recent tour of Iran by a group of "seasoned" globe-trotting trainspotting amateur photogs that uploaded all kinds of RR oriented pixs to this site, and there were a few Americans in this group of about a dozen, and it did not appear that any of them were Muslims/Iranian born expatriates, etc,. The "tour" was arranged by some travel company that caters to trainspotters & arranging tours of various RRs around the globe. I mention this Iranian tour since none of the ID captions commented on any negative security encounters with Iranian "police" so someone did a great deal of 'homework/groundwork' in keeping the peace with the police, as well as getting ordinary Iranian RR workers to pose in some of the pixs. And I have zero idea how any of these photogs are able to afford/finance their excursions to these foreign countries.

Sometimes stereotypical imaginary images of what day to day life in some foreign country is like are totally wrong, and the shattering of stereotypes can occur in very unexpected ways to include trainspotter websites.

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504590 posted on 14-9-2016 at 21:37 Reply With Quote
Addendum

This is a pix from the Iranian Trainspotters tour (May, 2016) from railpictures.net

In this dining car scene are some/all of the trainspotters (the ID caption didn't say who's who), plus ordinary Iranians (and I dare hope that there are no 'secret police' types either).

The scene is very reminiscent of the "glory days" of American RRing, i. e., you're not going to find this style dining car anymore except on a handful of tourist/museum RR excursions.

If it wasn't for the politicians, perhaps it's not to much to hope for that we in the USA (and elsewhere) could find a way to get along with the Iranians, as the folks in this pix demo.

JackInCT has attached this image.

Click Image To Enlarge
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 504591 posted on 14-9-2016 at 22:43 Reply With Quote

I'm not much of a train buff but always choose to travel by train if possible. This is how my last journey looked this month.

marymary100 has attached this image.

Click Image To Enlarge
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.