Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: FYI: DIY Consumer Level Hologram Program/Gear
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504461 posted on 2-9-2016 at 18:24 Reply With Quote
FYI: DIY Consumer Level Hologram Program/Gear

FYI: DIY Consumer Level Hologram Program/Gear

News Article (limited editing):

A new project on IndieGoGo wants to give you the ability to make and project your own Holograms. Called HoloVit, the device is essentially a transparent screen that when paired with your smartphone, tablet, computer, or television displays holographic images.

It doesn’t work with just any video. To display in hologram form, a video has to be, well, shot specifically for that purpose. To get things started, HoloVit has a number of videos already available you can play, ranging from cartoons for kids to fashion shows. There’s also a built-in video game you can play in holographic form.

Things get really interesting with a feature that allows you to record your own holograms using your tablet and a black backdrop. That’s right, you could be a hologram. The black backdrop (which HoloVit provides) is to ensure you don’t have any shadows or reflections in the shot, something that can impact the video come playback time.

Unlike a number of other crowdfunded projects, where the product isn’t quite finished and there’s a chance it won’t ship, the HoloVit has already gone through the crowdfunding process once and shipped to its initial backers. With its second run of screens, it plans to be able to ship them to backers next month. That means you’ll be projecting a virtual you onto the sofa in just a few weeks.

It’s also not that expensive. The small screen for use with smartphones and tablets runs $79. The medium screen for laptops is $109, and the large display for televisions and projections is $219. If you want to record your own holographic videos you’ll have to pay a little more. The display and the recording set (with backdrop) runs $299 for the small, $329 for the medium and $409 for the large.

Demo video YouTube: https://youtu.be/Cx89dy8PN6o (about 1 min)

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 504464 posted on 3-9-2016 at 02:48 Reply With Quote

Bloody good value if you ask me. I hope it takes off. Perfect for the apprentices learning a trade where pulling apart a real live object might be impractical.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504467 posted on 3-9-2016 at 03:35 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens...Perfect for the apprentices learning a trade where pulling apart a real live object might be impractical.

I'm posting this because I'm wondering if in your post that you are 'thinking' of virtual reality tech, as opposed to a hologram. To be sure I have ZERO experience with either except what I have read, and perhaps there is overlap that I am NOT aware of/understand.

I also posted as an addendum video cause it would be great fun at a party to have the guests play with this gear since the demo video makes it look like it's simply to use.

So here's a demo video from Holovit TV and INDIEGOGO--I couldn't really figure out just what the relationship is between the two. The video is almost 4 minutes, and it basically shows several young adults dancing (rather energetically) to various kinds of music; you can mute the sound if its not for you, but I got the proverbial kick out of seeing the energy these likely amateur dancers exhibited, and obviously you can make a video recording of the hologram(s) as it plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOEE_ZKkcbs

There are almost no videos on YouTube of this Indiegogo hologram tech, and none that I would describe as a comprehensive tutorial in how to deploy it.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.