Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Question Re How To Set Up Dual Boot In Win 7
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504048 posted on 4-8-2016 at 23:56 Reply With Quote
Question Re How To Set Up Dual Boot In Win 7

This is a how 'to do it' question.

As nothing more than an experiment, I have successfully figured out how to install a Linux distro on a USB flash drive (AKA thumb drive). And I did it in such a way that it can store a small number of end user created files on the flash drive (a small number as in I used a small capacity flash drive, i. e., not much room left on it).

But the problem I would like NOW to solve is that I have to go into BIOS and select the flash drive as the first boot device whenever I want to launch the distro.

I've used a dual boot setup years ago, but that was with multiple HDs and each had its own OS, i. e., long, long before Win 7, and of course I've completely forgotten everything about that.

I'm presuming that dual boot is the way to go, but perhaps there are better alternatives (and NO, I'm not interested in a virtual box approach to this). In any event as far as a dual boot setup goes, anyone have any experience with what works the easiest for a non-tech home user?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 504050 posted on 5-8-2016 at 00:03 Reply With Quote

It's easy with a Linux distro, When you decide you want to install it, part of the setup allows you to set a dual boot option with your existing OS. Haven't done it for a few years, but, from memory, it was simple and easy. The hardest part was restoring Windoze after you decided to remove Linux. Only because of their Boot menu which selects the OS to load.
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 504051 posted on 5-8-2016 at 02:40 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
It's easy with a Linux distro, When you decide you want to install it...

Clarification: I am NOT going to EVER install it on a HD, but literally ALWAYS keep it on the USB stick. The dual boot option did not occur when I installed it on the USB stick via a program that states "Universal USB Installer aka UUI is a Live Linux USB Creator that allows you to choose from a selection of Linux Distributions to put on your USB Flash Drive"; it's free and available at
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

This particular program has been around for quite a long time, and I used it as a kind of shot in the dark re any other alternatives to accomplish the thing (and I didn't search around very much for alternatives [similar programs], since typically there usually is).
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.