Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: The Smiling Dictator
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 503889 posted on 24-7-2016 at 19:49 Reply With Quote
The Smiling Dictator

I am watching a documentary about Saddam Hussein's foray into making a film using Western actors such as Oliver Reed. This took place during the Iran Iraq war and the shoot was difficult for many reasons such as the real army thinking the sfx of a train derailment was part of the war rather than a construct.

It's taken me back though to my time in Iraq. All of the places such as Baghdad, Karbala, Habbaniyah etc. in the film shoot are places I'm familiar with because I went there in 1990 just after the war was over.

As part of the documentary Saddam is interviewed about why he feels it necessary to get rid of his enemies.

In light of what has happened in Iraq after the West toppled him, should we have left well alone?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 503891 posted on 24-7-2016 at 22:17 Reply With Quote

There have been many discussions, far and wide, of just this topic. Should the west have interfered with local politics. Hindsight is marvelous, do you think the pollies would learn, though? The problem being, though, is the mindset of the people, they do not think the same way as "the west" and rule using the "big stick" method. The one with the biggest stick rules until someone with a bigger one comes along and deposes him. Yes, the populace were worse off (than us) under Saddam Hussein, but, such is the (entrenched) mindset, what has replaced him is far worse.
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 503895 posted on 25-7-2016 at 02:04 Reply With Quote

I heard one commentator put it this way: If we had known that the next President would give up everything that had been accomplished, tell the enemy that we were going to withdraw no later than a certain date (so, all they had to do was wait until after to strike and take back everything without American military defenses), and not even bother to negotiate for ANY American help to preserve or defend against the enemy, after the withdrawal--then, of course, we would have decided it wasn't worth it in the first place.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.