Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Lappy has decided to fall over!
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 503804 posted on 19-7-2016 at 14:43 Reply With Quote
Lappy has decided to fall over!

Lappy decided to shut itself down this morning and then proceeded to attempt to "repair" windoze, after about ten attempts at that It decided the the HDD needed to be scanned for errors which it eventually did, and then went back into the "repair" mode again! I thought, "Stuff it! Gonna have to re-load Windoze" Tried that, and still went round in circles trying to "repair" itself. Then none of my boot CD's (UBCD, Hiren and the like) would not work! Getting frustrated by this time because, 9 times out of 1o BIOS would bypass the optical drive for the HDD even though Optical drive is always first cab off the rank in my systems. When I did finally convince the system to boot to an optical media (Any one), it happened to be Partition Magic which was using a Linux shell that I'd not seen before but, very nice. I had already decided to blow everything away and start again but I was able to access the boot drive to recover some files that I had only updated in the previous couple of days which would have been a nuisance if I'd needed to re-do them. (One being some changes to my "music book" which is some 500 pages long. Did not want to have to trawl though the hard copy to update the backup again. The other being my Philately program which I have finally gotten working properly and I've been updating the data in that - would have only lost a few records there, and easily replaced).

Anyway, backup done, time to re-partition and re-load. YEAH! RIGHT! I booted from my W10 USB and went through all the option to delete and re-partition my drive and that is as far as it got! The drive is dead! Now to chase up the paperwork so I can claim warranty on it! The machine is only about three months old!!! Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhh!

If any of my Server's drives fall over, you'll hear my screams over there! I have about 4TB of data of which only some is backed up. Most of it I could live without, but it would be a huge nuisance.
Quaver
The Q

Theme: KPCH Default Blue

[*] Post 503805 posted on 19-7-2016 at 14:49 Reply With Quote

Can't you get the HDD out, into a caddy, and format the drive from another PC?
Ah, but then the warranty would be void.
Better dig out the receipts thenwaveysmiley
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 503808 posted on 19-7-2016 at 16:52 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by LSemmens
.....Partition Magic.....

I was (and I suppose still technically 'am') a registered owner of Partition Magic (when it was developed by PowerQuest).

To begin with, some FYI for anyone on this board who's unfamiliar with PartitionMagic-from a Wiki:

"PartitionMagic is a computer program for hard disk drive partitioning originally made by the PowerQuest corporation, but now owned by Symantec. As of December 8, 2009, the Symantec website stated that they no longer offer Partition Magic. The program runs on Microsoft Windows operating systems including Windows 2000 and Windows XP, but the application is incompatible with Windows Vista, 7, or 8 and must use a bootable disk for partitioning drives instead. The utility can also be run from a bootable CD-ROM and enables creation and modification of partitions. Existing partitions can be resized without loss of data".

PowerQuest failed, big time IMO, to notify its customer base that it was ceasing to exist; so one day I had to use it, and in the midst of a crisis, found that no tech support was available. Mind you, this was not a cheap piece of software either.

So my question is: is this the same software that my Wiki paragraph refers to, or is this another company that bought out the name? And from plain curiosity, just where, if anywhere, are you getting tech support for your PowerQuest???
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.