Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Simpler days of word processing
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 503432 posted on 2-7-2016 at 16:24 Reply With Quote
Simpler days of word processing

Remember when word processing on a computer was much less complicated?

I used to like the simplicity of copying text from the web to the word processor in Microsoft Works. Whatever font and size I had in my Works, that is the way it would go into my document.

Now, when I copy an area from a web page into Libre, various viewing cues from the web are copied as well, so I have invisible rectangles enclosing parts of the document, sizes and fonts copied in, etc.

To get something more like what I used to use, I have been using Wordpad. But, wordpad is more primitive than MS Works, or early versions of MS Office. I used to like to number the pages, set the spacing between paragraphs, indent for paragraphs.

I think, if I had the knowledge and influence, I would suggest to the modern programmers that they would include some kind of legacy settings that would emulate earlier word processing programs, just as some other programs allow for a "classic" appearance choice (e.g. Control Panel has in my XP).

And, I remember DOS word processing. My Leading Edge word processing program would automatically back up whatever file I was working on, at a set interval. (Every 15 minutes, perhaps? I don't remember for sure.)
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 503433 posted on 2-7-2016 at 16:28 Reply With Quote

CTR + PRINT SCREEN > CTR + V ONTO WHICHEVER VERSION OF WORD YOU ARE USING >CTR + P

HTH
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 503442 posted on 2-7-2016 at 23:00 Reply With Quote

Word processing is much simpler now. It's just that the stuff you are copying has got more complicated. FWIW in the settings you'll find an option to save a backup at regular intervals.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.