Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Used computer market adverts changing?
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 503317 posted on 25-6-2016 at 17:31 Reply With Quote
Used computer market adverts changing?

When I was new at KF, I used to be able to go to "computer shows" at which different vendors would all rent space in the same building for a period of perhaps three days, once or twice each year, and there were used computers and parts, recent computers (perhaps unsold from last year), etc., and each vendor would price competitively so as not to lose every sale to the guy with merchandise $20 cheaper.

I haven't seen any of those for years.

But, I would look at newspaper classified sales ads and find people who were glad to let their old box go cheaply, since it had been replaced. They had their own section in the paper (or, sometimes, they were lumped in with "electronics."

I just checked my local big-city classified newspaper (online edition), and the link took me to a site which combines all the adverts from 7 area papers.

There was a total of ONE advert to sell a computer!:o:(

On craigslist, I still find a number of ads, but laptops greatly outnumber desktop machines. (I recall a television magazine show that suggested used laptops are usually a bad deal, because they do not have a long life, anyway, especially considering the battery.)

The desktop machines I do see are mostly $250-$700, and many are advertised as "gaming machines."

I have some worry--perhaps the desktop machines that I favor are going dinosaur. When fewer new machines are sold, then they are harder to get and more expensive for us second owners.

I also wonder--how many smart phone users decide not to get a better computer? If they are people who would otherwise have gotten a system with a keyboard (lap or desk), then production and marketing will favor them over we who will put a drive or a memory set into a tower.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 503323 posted on 26-6-2016 at 05:37 Reply With Quote

I think computers are just another "throw away" item these days. Not worth the effort of trying to sell them. Have a look at you local auction house, they may have ex govet computers for sale. e.g.This is one of our local sites
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 503341 posted on 27-6-2016 at 01:02 Reply With Quote

I remember when I could buy hard drives with a usable Windows OS on them. The local used computer parts store did not wipe the drives before selling them.:o
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.