Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: keyboards
scholar
Knowledge of Ages

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: pensive

[*] Post 503159 posted on 17-6-2016 at 14:27 Reply With Quote
keyboards

The keyboard I use on this desktop machine looks dirty, from years of accumulation. The sides of the keys look grimy.

The keyboard plug is one of those round ones, not a USB. In my oldish computers, I have stayed with that old kind (same with the mouse), because the round plugs were available, and I wanted the USB plugs available for the printer and USB thumb drives.

Someone with some computer education (e.g. Jmb) might know--does having multiple USB plugs in use slow things down? I remember from my computer programming classes that I/O is the slowest kind of computer activity.

Or, do the old round sockets slow things down? I remember they are older, so perhaps they date back to a time when computers were just slower. Did USB mice and keyboards come along to speed things up?

I know the Universal Serial Bus has the advantage of several kinds of devices plugging in at the same place. Was speed sacrificed for this advantage?

I'm thinking of switching to another keyboard that will give me a clean start, and I'm wondering if I should stay with the older socket, or change to USB?
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 503162 posted on 17-6-2016 at 21:34 Reply With Quote

Why not clean the thing? You can get sprays for doing exactly that, for keyboards and the like.

I've had mine since 1999 and it still works fine, even after having coffee and god knows what spilt over it.

It's my most treasured piece of computer kit. :D
John Barnes
Radical Freethinker

Theme: Coffee

Mood: benign

[*] Post 503163 posted on 17-6-2016 at 22:36 Reply With Quote

The only advantage of the ps/2 Round plug keyboard is will start up on legacy drivers at the start up, where as the more modern usb has to have it own driver Ps/ 2 are old hat these days but I still have them on a mouse and key board for setting up, but windows 10 carry its own driver for usb
as the old adage say if it works don't fix it
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.