Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: Deceitful and nasty
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 502822 posted on 25-5-2016 at 18:11 Reply With Quote
Deceitful and nasty

W10 forced upgrade

Quote:

...an alteration to the Windows 10 upgrade alert now means if a user dismisses the box with the “x” icon, rather than closing the window, it now activates the upgrade, the BBC reports.
Katzy
Anything you like

Theme: Coffee

Mood: Fintlewoodlewix.

[*] Post 502824 posted on 25-5-2016 at 18:52 Reply With Quote

I have Windoze updates totally nixxed. Have done for a few months, now.

However...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36376962

Two tips, to keep W10 off, apart from killing updates:

GWX Control Panel. http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads

I Don't Want Windows 10. https://github.com/rn10950/I-Dont-Want-Windows-10/releases/tag/2.0
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 502839 posted on 26-5-2016 at 16:59 Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Katzy
I have Windoze updates totally nixxed...

There was a Windows Update icon in my taskbar this morning (05/26) for a single update; yep, it was for a Windows 10 "offer" (I have Win 7 OS).

I will quibble with your use of the word "nixed"; It seems to me that MS is well aware of the Win 10 'killer' programs that are around, and are bound and determined, one way or another (as in 'by hook or by crook'), to get around ALL of them.

Sales of home/consumer desktop PCs continue to fall (and most come with Win OSs), and smartphone sales continue to increase across the entire planet. But all that should come as no surprise since the vast number of home users have always used their desktops as toys/recreational/video games stations (as opposed to conducting business/mercantile/scientific/etc. endeavors). For that crowd, a smartphone/tablet serves the purpose, even with a smaller screen.

While no one is predicting that MS will go bankrupt as home users sales decline, it certainly sees it once insurmountable dominance in decline/threatened (and not just financially, but as a global 'player'). Clearly MS is looking over its shoulder constantly at Google, and is doing everything it can to keep Google from becoming the NEXT 'king of the mountain'.

That's what I think is the real reason that MS is pushing Win 10, i. e., it's pushing back any way that it can against Google; NO one has ever 'accused' MS of being ethical/caring/etc.,.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.