Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: FYI: Virtual Reality--The Future Is Quasi-Here NOW
JackInCT
Custom User Title

Theme: KF Blue (Default)

Mood: No Mood

[*] Post 502383 posted on 19-4-2016 at 19:39 Reply With Quote
FYI: Virtual Reality--The Future Is Quasi-Here NOW

FYI: Virtual Reality--The Future Is Quasi-Here NOW

For those on this board who just can't restrain themselves from getting their hands on this tech, I've copied the first several paragraphs re a virtual reality "film festival" from today's NY Times article (04/19/16) re what's in store if they can only hold on a bit longer.

Quote:
During two hours in the Virtual Arcade at the Tribeca Film Festival you can swim with whales, ride a dragon, become a rabbit, fly by Pluto and dodge spurts of blood unleashed by a machete attack. More exciting than any of those individual experiences, however, is the sense that you’re in a room full of possibilities and of creative people still in the early stages of figuring out what those possibilities are.

The arcade is where the festival is showcasing virtual-reality films, the still nascent art form made more accessible by a new generation of viewing devices that turn a movie into a 360-degree experience rather than something watched on a rectangular screen. Eighteen projects are gathered in a space at the festival hub downtown, and the sheer diversity is impressive. Especially if you’ve never watched a film in this format, it’s rather mind-blowing. But you may need a neck massage afterward from looking up, down and all around.

Two animated films, “Allumette” from Penrose Studios and “Invasion!” from Baobab Studios, are the crowd-pleasers, each a brief but delightful toe-dip into immersive viewing.

......A few explore the possibilities of interactivity, giving the viewer a role in the experience. “Dragonflight” (Blackthorn Media) allows you to climb on a dragon’s back for a fly-about; hand controllers let you scorch the landscape with fireballs if you feel the need.....

Me Here: it appears that personal fantasy "dreams" will have to do (fill the bill-as the only realistic viable alternative) in the near term.

The entire article (with other juicy tidbits re what it's like [as well as how it's done] to immerse oneself in these VR "films") is likely only to be available to subscribers of the NY Times but I suppose it's possible that there are readers out on the web that has Times' articles (try "Tribeca Film Festival Virtual Arcade" for the search words). Sweet Dreams--Have A Good Sleep!

JackInCT has attached this image.
Click the image to enlarge it:

Click Image To Enlarge
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 502384 posted on 19-4-2016 at 19:56 Reply With Quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/19/movies/virtual-reality-moviesadd-dimension-to-tribeca-festival.html?_r=0

Works fine for me. It seems both exciting and depressing in equal measure. There is a feeling that when we do this sort of thing we have amazing experiences but we have those experiences in increasing isolation.
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 502385 posted on 20-4-2016 at 00:24 Reply With Quote

I'm with you there, mary. I love the concept, but, as you say, we will be having the experience in isolation and that is not necessarily a good thing.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.