Karl`s PC Help Forums Last active: Never
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

In memory of Karl Davis, founder of this board, who made his final journey 12th June 2007

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites   Post new thread Poll:
Author: Subject: How many stable relationships do you have?
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 501158 posted on 24-1-2016 at 00:35 Reply With Quote
How many stable relationships do you have?

Dunbar's number

Quote:

This number was first proposed in the 1990s by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, who found a correlation between primate brain size and average social group size.[7] By using the average human brain size and extrapolating from the results of primates, he proposed that humans can onlycomfortably maintain 150 stable relationships.[8] Proponents assert that numbers larger than this generally require more restrictive rules, laws, and enforced norms to maintain a stable, cohesive group. It has been proposed to lie between 100 and 250, with a commonly used value of 150.[9][10] Dunbar's number states the number of people one knows and keeps social contact with, and it does not include the number of people known personally with a ceased social relationship, nor people just generally known with a lack of persistent social relationship, a number which might be much higher and likely depends on long-term memory size.

Does that sound right to you?
LSemmens
Undercover MOD

Theme: Windows XP Silver

Mood: Gone crazy, Back soo

[*] Post 501163 posted on 24-1-2016 at 09:52 Reply With Quote

Could be correct. We know hundreds of people but are only in "regular" contact with around a hundred or so. Of that hundred only twenty could be called "close". Of the "Hundreds" there would be about 30 or 40 who would "take up where we left off" if we were to live in close proximity again.
marymary100
Underwater Plumber

Theme: Iconic
Member Is Online

Mood: fact me

[*] Post 501169 posted on 24-1-2016 at 14:08 Reply With Quote

Discounting my actual friends I have around 100 adult colleagues and 800+ pupils. We are going to be moving to a "super" school with around 1500 pupils and maybe 200 + staff. The Dunbar number suggests that this will be an inefficient, unworkable school unless each bit is broken up into units of around 150. I find it hard to remember everything about everyone as it is and need to write things down much more than I used to.
Post new thread Poll:

Guest Notice
You are a guest, as a guest you can only see a maximum of 3 posts per thread.

If you want to see the rest, please click here to register.